Draing heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have oil fire central heating. There is small water tank in the attic. When I drain the heating system from the lowest point most of the system is drained. I noticed the tank was still full. The system refuses to fill from the tank. I tried to put water through the system via the boiler. While the water gets into the tank but the water does not drain. Any idea how I can resolve the issue?

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if the feed pipe into the heating system from the header tank is blocked (I found a mouse in one once). If the system has an air seperater, this is a common place for crud to build up and cause a blockage.

Sounds as if the feed pipe into the heating system from the header tank is blocked (I found a mouse in one once). If the system has an air seperater, this is a common place for crud to build up and cause a blockage.

I connected the cold water to the boiler and tried to fill the system. Water got to the tank, if I am correct the pipe is not blocked or could it be?

The water coud be getting into the tank via the vent pipe. If loosly stick a bit of tissue into the vent and try it again this will tell if thats whats happening.

Sponsored Links
The water coud be getting into the tank via the vent pipe. If loosly stick a bit of tissue into the vent and try it again this will tell if thats whats happening.

That is going to be easy to check. I can use a electrical fishing wire as the vent is close to the tank.

That is going to be easy to check. I can use a electrical fishing wire as the vent is close to the tank.

The pipe seems clear. I also blow down type and that lenght of the pipe seem clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back