Draining a CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off hello, my first post

Probably a dumb question but I am leaving my house empty so need to drain it all down, have read the FAQs and seems ok but one question.

Will turning off the mains water supply stop the tank in the loft refilling or is it
a separate system?

Told you it might be a dumb question :confused:

Sponsored Links
If you dont ask you dont know.

The mains water supply should shut off the whole house, so yes. (Exceptions are some older properties that may have an additional supply originally feeding an outside W.C., known this to be used to feed a later addition such as a shower.)

There may (will probably) be 2 tanks in the loft. Smaller feeds central heating, larger serves hot water cylinder. Be aware for frost precautions, even with the cold storage tank emptied, the cylinder will remain full unless drained seperately.

Thanks for that, I appear to have hit a new problem. I cant find a drain cock on the downstairs rads. There is on on the hot water cylinder

Below shows 2 of the 3 downstairs rads and the hot water cylinder (with its drain cock).

Any suggestions oh now to drain this down? Thanks in anticipation.

Bumping back up.

Any advice please as this has got me stuck and I reckon I might me missing something obvious

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If I cant find the drain tap is it possible to fit one to the rad nearest the back door (and so easiest to drain from)? Its the middle of the 3 photos above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back