Draining and refilling combi system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to replace the flow switch (aka differential pressure switch?) on my 15-yr-old Vaillant combi boiler.

I'm no plumber but I think I can manage it okay.

The snag is that the plumbers' merchant supplying the switch says I'll have to drain the system before fitting the switch and refill it afterwards.

I've no idea how to drain and refill.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
my advice is dont do it get a professional in as changing them can be a bit of a wotsit

NOT A DIY JOB in my opinion

A bit of a wotsit in what way?

There are 3 small bolts holding it in position, and two slim water pipes with push fittings supplying the flow - that's all.

It doesn't look difficult.

Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
D'OH thought you meant the diverter valve
not a bad job
Still would suggest getting a chap in though
if you really want to do it here you go

TURN OFF THE FLOW AND RETUN PIPES FROM THE BOILER (unmissable they are the bigger pipes there have built in valves)

TURN OFF THE COLD WATER SUPPLY PIPE (Precautiony measure)

OPEN A HOT TAP (to drain off water supply)

GET A SMALL HOSE AND ATTACH IT TO DRAIN OFF LOCATED ON FLOW ISOLATING VALVE

OPEN DRIAN OFF UNTIL NO WATER IS PRESENT

TO FILL CARRY OUT ABOVE IN REVERSE

and remember that if you are not 100% confident in doing the job save yourself some time and money in the long term and call VAILLANT service solutions they offer and brilliant service for not much money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back