draining boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately the missus want a fancy chrome rad in the bathroom with new chrome valves. I am quite capable of replacing the radiator, but will come unstuck when replacing valves. can someone let me know if and how I can do this? Will I need to drain the system and if so how??

I have got a Baxi 105E combi.

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
turn off boiler.
find CH drain -off valve, open valve plus open vents on upstairs rads and then downstairs. close rad vents.

Valves have compression fittings (nut & olive) so easy to remove.

Screw one part of the new rad valves (the radiator tails) into the new chrome rad (one each end)

Assuming new rad is same width as old rad. then remove old olives from pipework, fit new valves.

If you are very lucky new rad will sit on old brackets. If not remove these, connect up new rad to valves, mark on wall the positions of rad hanging brackets.

Fix new brackets on wall, hang new rad, pour in new inhibitor, connect up new rad.

Break for cupper.

repressurize system from filling loop, bleed rads and repressurize again. Check for leaks.

Finished.

Or if feeling parsemonious, close all rad valves except for the rad nearest the drain point and the rad being removed. Then you're emptying just the pipes & don't lose all your inhibitor.
Note how far they were open, to restore proper balance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back