Draining Central heating system ?- Gledhill Boilermate II -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drain my heating system to move the pipe work for a rad. I've been told that all I need to do is Turn water/power off to the boiler, close the isolation valve from out the header tank and open a draindown valve downstairs. Does anyone know if its a simple as that??
Is there anything I should look out for refilling the system??

Any information and tips will be most greatfully received - Many thanks.
Stuart.

Sponsored Links
Funny you post about this because I've got an identical system & I've just done it.

Close off the cold supply to the f&e tank (normal tap looking thing that should be next to your boilermate and feeds the feeder tank). Shut the boiler down. On my system I have two drain points - one next to the boiler, downstairs, and one next to the boilermate. They look like a tap but with a square head & you'll need a shifter spanner to turn them - they turn either way. Hope that help & you have more luck than I did !

HI - Thanks for the advice. There's a suprima boiler downstairs that feeds the boliermate. Can't find a drain value under it though. All the rads downstairs have drain valves on them so I can drain from one of them I guess.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've got a very similar system to me as I have a Suprima too.

There should be a drain valve next to the boilermate. You can drain at the bottom of the radiator but it takes ages. The drain should exit outside & all you have to do is make sure nothing is in it's path & open it. CH water on the carpet isn't recommended & a real possibility with draining from beneath the rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back