Gledhil Boilermate - how to use/setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.
I need advice how to use/setup efficiently and economically thermal storage.

Recently we move into new house and instead traditional hot water tank we have thermal storage.
We been told this is working opposite way to the traditional system with hot water tank.
We have very old boiler in kitchen (Potterton) 20 years old and brand new termal storage on 2nd floor (Gledhill Boilermate OV 150L)
There is 2 controlers:
-Hive (single zone) for central heating
-Honwell on wal next to Boilermate set to continue heating (Temperature on tank is set for 75C)

Do we need to keep this on continue ?
From some reason boiler is fire up very often even when heating is of

Please can anyone share with some tips and advice how to use this system efficient

Sponsored Links
the old honeywell will be set to continuous because whoever fitted the hive didnt know how to link it out, you need to leave it set to constant, the hive will over ride it if wired correctly

Recently we move into new house and instead traditional hot water tank we have thermal storage.
How unfortunate.

use/setup efficiently and economically thermal storage.
Not possible. The only option is to set the boiler to maximum and on permanently to keep the store blazing hot all the time.

From some reason boiler is fire up very often even when heating is of
Normal operation - the store must be kept ridiculously hot 100% of the time, otherwise your hot water will be barely warm and your heating won't work.

Sponsored Links
I think when boiler breakdown (is over 20 years old) I will replace thermal storage with traditional hot water cylinder.
It's a pity that 4 months ago when the thermal storage broke, it was not replaced with a hot water cylinder, the just put new thermal storage (this was done through insurance)

the old honeywell will be set to continuous because whoever fitted the hive didnt know how to link it out, you need to leave it set to constant, the hive will over ride it if wired correctly
I think they put extra Honewell controller because existing Hive was only for heating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back