Draining down after Fernox Cleaner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best way of draining down a vented Heating system after running Fernox F3 through the system, the system has a motorised valve and I thought that maybe just doing a standard drain down would not cause it to be fully emptied since the motor valve would be closed as the boiler would be off during drain down.

The only two drain off's I have are one on the boiler and one about 3 metres away from the boiler. So I was thinking of draining it off at the lowest radiator away from the boiler. And even maybe vacuuming out all the sludge as we have large idustrial vac systems on hand, whats your thoughts on this ?.

Sponsored Links
Usually motorised valves have a small lever that opens them manually for filling and draining. Don't know about the industrial vaccum cleaner though, best leave that for someone else to answer.

if you have wooden floors pull up a board and cut the pipe, let it drain to the footings.
replace with a compression tee and add a drain off.

dont bother with the vac,

if your not on a water meter shut all the rads except 1 and let the f&e tank fill and flush the open rad, shut and open another rad and again let it flush out the rad.

do this on all the rads till running clear.

on filling add inhibitor to the system in the header tank, add when filling not when full . :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks I didn't realise there was a lever for this.
On finding the lever I notice it's actually on Open rather than Auto.
What effect would this have had on everything ????.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back