Draining down systems with "frozen" drain off points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I went to my stepson's today to fit a new towel rail on the first floor.

I wanted to drain down the system so I turned the valiant combi off and put my garden hose on the drain down point nearest the front door.

I turned the valve so much that it came out. No water came out though.

I then went to the next nearest drain down point- same thing.

I then checked the boiler. There is something that looks like a micro drain off point on the 22mm heating pipes but opening one of them only releases about a pint of water.

I went back to the first drain off valve. They are the type with the top that you can remove (type A in screwfix?). I gave it a couple of gentle whacks. Then I tried to stick a thin screw driver up the spout. I then rather gingerly tried to prize the stuck plate with the washer on it after removing the spindle. Still nothing.

What is the cleanest/easiest way to drain down the system?

I am guessing that I could drain the biggest radiator down stairs. Let it refill. Drain it. That will be enough to let me work on the pipes upstairs but he will still be left with no practical drain down point.

Would heating one of the drain off valves melt the rubber washer enough to use the screw driver up the spout to work? I am happy to replace the washers in the valves but would rather not have to desolder the valves and re-solder new ones if I can get away with buy new valves and fitting new "guts" in to the existing valves.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unscrew the head gear from the draincock and try to pry the washer free from there rather than the spout.

Chances are some numpty soldered the draincock in without removing the washer first and melted the washer onto the seat.

Thanks Newboy.

I cant get to the washer, the brass disc which should be connected to the spindle is still in the housing.

Sponsored Links
Why drain down?
Close all the upstairs rad valves, close isolating valves on boiler, release pressure in system, job done.

Why drain down?
Close all the upstairs rad valves, close isolating valves on boiler, release pressure in system, job done.
I would never recommend someone with lack of experience to risk this method. To much could go wrong.
Not worth risking it.

Once drained, make sure all the radiator bleeds are open to prevent water vacuum. Last thing you want a rush of left over water coming out open ended pipes. Especially upstairs.

Try needle/long nosed pliers
Hate when this happens. Usually get a waterproof mat and a tray.
Shut off both rad valves (hopefully they work)
Open the union/compression nut on radiator valve.
If rad valve has 1/2” compression nut I get a spare olive and a bit of 15mm cooper inserted in to drain down hose and attatch to rad valve and simply open valve. If rad valve is 3/4 I attatch a washing machine hose.

If rad valve has 1/2” compression nut I get a spare olive and a bit of 15mm cooper inserted in to drain down hose and attatch to rad valve and simply open valve. If rad valve is 3/4 I attatch a washing machine hose.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

After draining down I will then try to drive a self tapping screw into the brass disks that are stuck in the two drain off points and pull the disks and washers out.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

After draining down I will then try to drive a self tapping screw into the brass disks that are stuck in the two drain off points and pull the disks and washers out.
No point mate. The drain off sounds broken to me so won’t seal. It needs changing.
Unless you can get the same replacement drain off and unscrew the guts out the new one and replace the insides.

Try needle/long nosed pliers

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, with the spindle removed the brass disc left in the housing is flat bar a dimple in the middle of it. I have nothing for the pliers to grab.

No point mate. The drain off sounds broken to me so won’t seal. It needs changing.
Unless you can get the same replacement drain off and unscrew the guts out the new one and replace the insides.

I am hoping that I can find a like for like to act as a donor. If not, then yeah I will fit a new one.

Thanks yet again.

I am hoping that I can find a like for like to act as a donor. If not, then yeah I will fit a new one.

Thanks yet again.
Take a photo to the merchants they’ll give you the correct one. There’s only a few types.

hose on ,jubilee clip on hose ,,,,broken drain off washer ,go to screwyou/babestation and buy a new drain off that looks the same , take new it apart and get towels and wet suit on all ready , on the old one take out brass threaded /dreaded front insert Crouchet hook from yr mums needlework box and fish out the remains of washer,when it all comes out shove in the replacement threaded bit with new washer till drain down finished ,then sort it out after all the water has gone .Its messy but it works .always apply silicon gease to new washer ,they never stick again .and no soldering either

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice.

I noticed that one of the drain off valves still had something that I could grab with needle nosed pliers. I managed to pull the brass disc out and put my finger over the hole whilst the system drained down. Then drove a screw through the remaining rubber washer to pull it out.

Used the internals from a new valve (first smearing some silicon grease over the washer).

I couldn't be bothered to replace the other drain down valve. I will/may do it at some other time. The pipes run from upstairs down hence the two drain off valves for the two radiators downstairs.

Anywho. Just wanted to say thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back