no drain point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking rad valve but there is only one drain point just above the boiler on the return pipe but its does not work there are no other drain points on any of the upstaire or down stairs rads how am i going to change the valve on the upstairs bathroom rad oh its a conventional system, :(

Sponsored Links
hire a freeze kit

Or isolate the small feeder tank in the loft pick any rad below the one you want to work on turn off its valves , drain it off by releasing it from the radiator.

If all goes well you should now be able to fit a hose to one of the valves and drain down.

Be warned read previous posts about rads not heating refilling can be much more difficult that getting the water out.

ok sounds good how do i isolate the header tank and do i fit the hose to the down stairs rad how do i do that

what i normally do when face with this type of thing is make a temporary drain off by using a self cutting washing machine valve (about 7.00 for b+q)

Blooming handy they are for this just remember to install a proper drain off when you are done.

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
what i normally do when face with this type of thing is make a temporary drain off by using a self cutting washing machine valve (about 7.00 for b+q)

Blooming handy they are for this just remember to install a proper drain off when you are done.

How do you make sure the little circle of copper comes out of the system?

Never lost one mate

They are always clinging on like a goody when you take the tap apart

Yeah - but if you're a bit unlucky, that little disk is just the right size to jam the pump or block something in the boiler!

good point

but it is handy when your are in a jam and some pillock aint put a drain off on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back