Draining horizontal pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my increasing jobs, I need to cut some pipes to below floor level and cap them. Capping no problem, going the blowtorch way (fire, we like fire)

I've stopped the mains, emptied the systems before, that's fine, it's just dealing with physical below floor horizontal pipework I'm not sure how to catch the unknown quantity of water (22mm pipe coming from bathroom to en suite by the looks of it).

I can't get a bucket under there, got roughly 10cm space to play with

Sponsored Links
Compression or pushfit and a bath towel on a bin liner.
Or solder if you want a difficult life.
Don’t try to solder a cap without an open end. You’ll fail.

Thanks Jeff, this pipe could be 3m in length, that's going to be a lot of water potentially coming through the downstairs ceiling(!)

Be quick. Not as much as you think!
Use a pipe slice not a hacksaw.
The bath towel is not to dry yourself off!

Sponsored Links
Be quick. Not as much as you think!
Use a pipe slice not a hacksaw.
The bath towel is not to dry yourself off!

On the upright of these pipes (originally for a shower unit), the previous plumber decided to use a pushfit right on an angle without a collet, just a touch made it fly off, had to work fast to get a compression stop end on that and do it properly(!) great fun!

Never used a hacksaw on pipework, always a pipe slice, great little things, almost therapeutic! The bath towel today was definitely for me, and the dog, he was being nosey just at the wrong moment :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back