Draining rads when you've lost the drain valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds a bit stupid I know......

A plumber 'mate' changed a radiator for me a year or two ago - the very rad that had the drain valve on it.
I've only just realised recently (now i want to drain the system) that he must have moved the drain valve to a position that is now underneath the floor boards. Not a big problem, except that since then we've laid a really nice wooden floor over the old one, and fitted skirting over that floor, and decorated aswell!! :oops:

Is there anyway I could drain the system easily without lifting the floor?
Any ideas gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You could break the connection between a rad valve and a rad.
Turn both valves off, and there will be a radiator full of water to catch when you crack the joint (Cue the old towels, dustpan, empty takewaway containers etc.).

With luck, you can spring the pipe clear of the rad, or you could remove the rad. and fit your drain hose to the rad. valve.

Before re-assembling, replace the lockshield valve with something like this:-
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11074&ts=75990

I'm not a fan of self-cutting valves - Will it seal onto the pipe, and where will that little disc of copper it punches out end up?

Sponsored Links
Self cutting d o c for convenience, on comp of draindown install a type A
d o c in place of self cutter ,less hassle in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back