Draughty uPVC patio Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some help (Thanks in advance) fixing my draughty uPVC patio door. It is draughty from the bottom centre and daylight can be seen through the door, however I am not sure what I needs to done to stop the draught. These pictures are of the bottom of the door:

Pic 1: Inside Looking Out (door shut)
Door 1.jpg

Pic 2: Outside looking in (door shut)
Door 2.jpg

Pic 3: Outside looking in (door open)
Door 3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like the door needs adjusting. Now problem here is it could be the master door or the slave door that needs adjusting, and it could be just adjustment on the hinges or maybe the door glass hasn't been packed ( toe and heeled) properly.

Looks like the door needs adjusting. Now problem here is it could be the master door or the slave door that needs adjusting, and it could be just adjustment on the hinges or maybe the door glass hasn't been packed ( toe and heeled) properly.
Why would not packing the glass properly lead to that ?

If the glass is not packed properly ( toe and heeled ) it can cause the door sash to drop. Toe and heeling is exactly like a diagonal brace on a wooden door...designed to keep the door level

Sponsored Links
Looks as if the door isn't square with the frame. Is that gap still there when you lock the doors (push the handle up)?

Thanks for the responses, however it has prompted a few more questions. What adjustment is required (assuming it isn't toeing/heeling)? And how do you actually make it seal, I.e. not draughty

The adjustment should be on the hinges , and when both doors line up correctly there will be no gap... however full compression on the door seals will only happen when the locks are fully engaged.
You may need to post pictures up of the hinges so you can be advised how to adjust. If there is adjustment on the hinges then try that first, if the door sash moves and you get a repeat problem then I would be thinking it would need toe and heeling . Another thing to check is the physical condition of the hinges, eg are they broken , coming away from the frame etc

If the glass is not packed properly ( toe and heeled ) it can cause the door sash to drop. Toe and heeling is exactly like a diagonal brace on a wooden door...designed to keep the door level
Is there a specific order for the packing ? Is it done on all four corners ? The videos I have watched on youtube only do it on the two opposing corners.

Yeah it's only the two opposites, like a brace on a wooden gate. Once those packers are in , you can then pack other areas if you wish

The adjustment should be on the hinges , and when both doors line up correctly there will be no gap... however full compression on the door seals will only happen when the locks are fully engaged.
You may need to post pictures up of the hinges so you can be advised how to adjust. If there is adjustment on the hinges then try that first, if the door sash moves and you get a repeat problem then I would be thinking it would need toe and heeling . Another thing to check is the physical condition of the hinges, eg are they broken , coming away from the frame etc
Thanks roonicabers. Pictures below of the hinges and doors from the outside:
20221218_102500.jpg

20221218_102510.jpg

Well they are fairly easy hinges to adjust. Open the door and look at the hi ge from inside and you should see a screw holding the cover cap on. Under screw and carefully prise the external cover cap off the actual door sash . Once fine you should see some Allen key adjustments
. Before you do adjust them though , with a pencil mark where each door is sitting in the frame. This gives you a point to return to if everything goes wrong!. Never adjust more than half a turn at a time and normally the centre hinge won't need adjusting. Your biggest problem is working out which door has ' dropped ' and which to adjust. Are either of the doors catching on the bottom of the frame?

Thnks again for your help. I Managed to have a look at the Doors post xmas and measured the distance from the glass on all corners and as expected the door does not appear to be sitting square in the frame, so looks like I need to make some adjustments.

My only questions is how do these doors actually fully seal so that there is no draught and they are air tight? Looking at my pic 2 in my OP there is a gap underneath the shorter piece of plastic (on what I believe is a mullion) that looks like it would still not be there if the gap at the bottom is removed or am I missing something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back