adjusting old upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have what I believe is a very old upvc door (windows are 25+ years old so I presume the doors were installed at the same time)

I would like to adjust the hinges as the door doesn't shut properly without some effort and its currently whistling like mad in the wind and draughty.

I have had a look at the hinges and it doesn't appear to have the same type of hinge as modern upvc doors with the cap on the top and then a hex type arrangement inside.

I just have a steel round thing on the top which cant be taken off (that I can see)

Any idea how I would be able to adjust them with these type of hinges?

Hopefully this link works...

http://postimg.org/image/iuqrymwnj/

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thats an old butt hinge, Little to no adjustment on them.
Work out where the draft is actually coming from. Top,bottom,hinge side or lock side?
Most likely the door had dropped on the handle side (check the alignment of the corner welds on the door to the welds on the frame too).

If so the door will need "Toe and heeling" basically you need to remove the beading, Lift the handle side and add the appropriate amount of packers above the glass on the handle side top corner. There are several videos you can google.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back