Drawer Cabinet - 18mm Plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to build a drawer cabinet for my garage workbench and I am unsure as to the best way to join the plywood together to create a strong cabinet. I had thought glue and screw, or glue and pin. I expect some form of back panel or bracing will be needed to stiffen the whole thing.

I am using 18mm hardwood ply and I expect the cabinet to be approximately 800mm high, 600mm deep, and possibly 600mm wide. The intention is to make my own drawers to fit and suit my needs.

I have inherited a router and have quite a few hand tools to start - I still have to collect some sash cramps as I think thy might be useful for this project

Any suggestions to join the panels together would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
For workshop drawers I'd stick with screwed and glued. Just make your drawers so that the fronts and backs are inside the sided (for extra strength). Bottoms are best set into grooves in the drawer sides/fronts/backs. A 6mm deep x 18mm wide groove set 15mm up from the drawer bottom should hold a lot of weight.

Main carcassing I'd probably just screw together with pre-piloted 1-3/4in black carcass screws, but I'd screw a sheet of hardboard, or thin MDF on the back to keep it all rigid

Last edited by a moderator:
Main carcassing I'd probably just screw together with pre-piloted 1-3/4in black carcass screws, but I'd screw a sheet of hardboard, or thin MDF on the back to keep it all rigid

I have plenty of twinfast threaded screws - What is the difference to carcass screws?

Thanks for the advice and @lostinthelight thanks for the link - I had spotted his channel but not really had a good watch of all the information.

My late father was a self-taught cabinet maker so I would like to do follow him and do a "proper" job but I think my skills so far are a bit lacking. I will progress to jointing in the future!

Sponsored Links
Not a lot of difference. You just need a screw with a decent deep thread. Pre-piloting holed with the right size of drill countersink (I recommend Trend Snappy ones) makes the job so much easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back