Cabinets for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am about to build some cabinets for my garage storage.

I am wondering to built wide cabinets 1100mm wide with wide drawers. And keep kinda heavy stuff in it. (Tools etc)

Im going to use 18mm plywood.

Because drawers will be so wide what problems might occur? I'd like to hear advice from someone who built wide drawers previously.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
The obvious one is sagging in the middle so a central support would help either timber or metal rail and make sure you use a sturdy base and not thin ply etc.

The obvious one is sagging in the middle so a central support would help either timber or metal rail and make sure you use a sturdy base and not thin ply etc.
To be more specific unit it self will be built from 18mm ply.

1100mm wide, 700mm deep.

Base from 18mm ply on adjustable height cabinet legs.

Still havent decided 12mm or 18mm for drawers.

Plans chests are wide and carry heavy loads.I recycled plans chest draw runners to allow a chest freezer to sit under a tumble dryer, so considerable weight, so the runners are the most important part of a wide chest.

Sponsored Links
general comments
700 is very wasteful material wise unless you have an equivalent amount off use for 497 as the offcuts more normal 598
deep cupboards are very difficult to use efficiently and tend to be dumping grounds at the back so less usefull space[ measure fingertips to shoulder mines 620mm]
think off boxes you can buy and plan open shelving to slide them out then boxes at the back no longer difficult dead space
700+500 doors means 4ft 1220 from the wall has to be open space to open the cupboard doors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back