wardrobe door hinges - marking out questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks....

As mentioned in a previous thread I am building some wardrobes!

I have purchased Cooke and Lewis doors but built my own cabinets.

cabinets have been constructed from 18mm MDF and constructed to exactly the same size as off the shelf cabinets, i.e. 900mm wide, 2035mm high

My run of cabinets is now installed and await their doors!!!!

But..............

I always struggle to work out where and how to fix the hinges, so rather than another frustrating "cussing" session I thought I would ask if their are any tricks? or indeed if I can make some sort of template? - I have 12 doors to fix!!!!

the doors are 4 hinge doors

how do I accurately work out where to fix the hinges please?

.....how far from front edge of cabinet and how do I determine the heights? please, pretty please!

as always thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What type of hinges please...pinenot :)

I think that technically they are called "blum"

.....they are from B & Q "Tradepoint" and the label says....

" Sprung hinge 35mm 110 degree"

..............does that help?

OK, Blum is the makers name not the descriptive name, there called concealed cabinet hinges or sometimes lay on hinges. 110 degree tells you how much opening from closed they will allow, in this instance your quoting 110 degree from closed.
These hinges require 35mm holes, cut into the door (you get special Forstner type cutters to drill these out) but I will presume, as your buying these from B&Q they would be pre-drilled, this would take the problem of locational position of the hinges. There not the easiest things to drill unless your experienced, the cutter cums to within 6mm of the door edge any slip or wobble with the cutter can create a spoiled door...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Thats a sprung kitchen door type hinge....there are templates for these but for the 35mm diameter door socket, its 24mm in from the edge to centre.
For the carcass side, its 38mm in from the edge and the euro screw pitch is 32 from the centre.
Please do a trial run on some scrap material first!
John :)

NO!

Ooops you misunderstand my stupid ramblings :oops:

Doors are off the shelf and pre-drilled and all ready to go!

I need help/advice on where to fix these to the cabinet - there are 4 hinges per door - where do I fix them?

Or more correctly - how do I work out from the door where to attach the hinges to the cabinets? so that the door is correctly positioned?

The carcase fitting ends of the hinges, are they flat plates attached via lock screws to the end of the hinges (these would be the points of adjustment)...pinenot :confused:

P.S. here's an image

Measure to hinge centres on doors then tranfer to carcase, they are usually set back 17mm but can vary depending on hinge,there is normally 2-4mm adjustment up/down,in/out on the mounting plate if you are not spot on.
Cowards way out is to fit top and bottom hinges and then the middle hinges can be marked very accurately. If you c8ck up you only have to reposition two hinges instead of all. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back