Drawings sorfware??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on free / or low cost software that will enable me to measure on quotes for say, a small extension, then put my dimensions into a catchy 3d drawing? I already google scetchup..not that impressed with it

Happy new year!!

Sponsored Links
Just an impressive pitch to potential clients really..my business is Heating / plumbing but am moving more into building side of things as well now purely through client demand (they get well chuffed at the work I do for them then occasionally follow on with, oh we are looking at an extension, or new kitchen, do you know any biulders / fitters etc.

The plan is for me to win sales and then "project manage" works to my subbies (I have one of each trade who I trust). Its only going to smallish stuff but instead of a clent asking for a single story extension, me measuring up and returning with a crayon drawing, Id like to return with a nice 3 or 2D drawing that will firstly impress and 2nd let the client visualise what they have requested..

Thanks for the input! I am dowloading the link as we speak...happy new year and thanks again!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I can't see how you could not be impressed by sketchup. It is the best way to present a project to a client - either by showing a 3D sectional model or by exporting views, touching up and then combining into the Layout program

Many clients don't actually understand constructional line drawings in 2 or 3d, and only appreciate things when shown in rendered 3d and in context - 3m is meaningless, but say six base units or a settee and table is more meaningful.

But the problem you have is that it takes a lot of time to produce good presentational views, or if you do things quick it look like your eight year old daughter has done the design.

IMO, it's best to either present basic 2d floor plans and elevations or do a proper rendered model - anything in between looks amateurish. This is where Sketchup comes in

Also, clients tend to expect construction drawings on large sheets of paper (minimum A2), not spread over 10 sheets of A4 off the inkjet - again it looks amateurish . So if you are going to present on A4, make a proper bound pack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back