Google Sketchup To Change Rear Elevation Drawing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and girls

I have a drawing produced by an architect a while ago and I want to change the rear elevation picture. Everything else I can do myself

The diagram below should have two small changes:

1) A flat roof on the first roof rather then a pitched roof
2) An infill to the first floor rear extension so that he first floor is full width with a simple window in the middle

Does anyone know the easiest way to change this drawing? Can google sketchup do this and if so how because I have struggled to do that.

I would also be happy to pay someone via Paypal or make donation to charity to make these small changes

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 19.14.09.png

Sponsored Links
Sketchup won't be of any use, to change the drawing (which was produced with AutoCAD or some other CAD programme) you need the digital file. And then it needs to be done by some other CAD programme eg AutoCAD. If you have it It's possible depending how the PDF was produced that the PDF can be brought into AutoCAD 2017 and be amended that way. It begs the question why you're original architect can't?

Sketchup won't be of any use, to change the drawing (which was produced with AutoCAD or some other CAD programme) you need the digital file. And then it needs to be done by some other CAD programme eg AutoCAD. If you have it It's possible depending how the PDF was produced that the PDF can be brought into AutoCAD 2017 and be amended that way. It begs the question why you're original architect can't?

I only have a PDF of the image - The drawing was done by a technician who has now left the country so he is no longer available.

Are you saying that this needs to be redrawn in Autocad from scratch because I dont have the digital file? If thats the case how much time do you think it will take?!

Sponsored Links
You would have to import the image of the elevation into the model space and trace the elevation, scale the model to make it proportional, and then make the changes. Take perspective off and work in a single view as a 2d plan.

What are you going to do with the amended drawings? Because you will just end up with two altered elevations and not plan or side views. You would need the pro version of SketchUp to do a plan print as this comes with the Layout programme for arranging the views on a page.

If this is just for illustrating, then it would be easier and quicker to do with Photoshop or a similar image editor, using the clone tool and some basic editing.

Ignoring the fact of what you're trying to do, the proposed rear elevation is covering up the upper left window???????????, and if you take it across the whole width, it'll cover up both. That's about the oddest drawing I've seen, and I'm left wondering why it was done like that, and what you're trying to achieve.

Ignoring the fact of what you're trying to do, the proposed rear elevation is covering up the upper left window???????????, and if you take it across the whole width, it'll cover up both. That's about the oddest drawing I've seen, and I'm left wondering why it was done like that, and what you're trying to achieve.

What I am trying to do is to resubmit my application which shows the extension that took place over the last five years. I added a first floor infill extension but not the second - This new application will be about the second floor extension

Make sense?

Nope, that just tells me why you are doing it. You're adding another floor onto the property, but not explaining what's gone wrong with the proposed elevation drawing.

If it's just a one off to an elevation in your circumstances I'd use photoshop, but any more than and you'll quickly disappear down a rathole of abysmal productivity as you make further changes and revisions. Don't you also have plans and other elevations that are in error?

... So does the missing infill piece also chop half way through a window leaving the brick soldier course visible?

Doggit, I suspect that the original window was modified into a simple slot , or clerestory, in order to get some natural light (but no ventilation) into that rear space.

I kind of did this in Microsoft Paint

Heres how it looks like

If someone could help by making this a bit prettier and clearer I would send them some hugs, Paypal money or donation to charity

Hoping to submit this to council tomorrow and if agreed then do a proper diagram!

I trying to add a small 5 square metre room on the half landing !
41Hg.png

41Hg2.png

Last edited:
The window looks pretty wierd. If you want light into star well then either (i) go for a flat roof, or (ii) put a velux in the roof above the stairwell.

Both should give you more light and will look better.

The window is already there on first floor. I am interested in making a small second floor extension

I just am after an easy way to make that drawing of the rear elevation ok - Do you know any software to change this easily?!

Don't even bother submitting that, it's just going to get rejected. You've got the study on the half landing, but it's rising up to cover the window above it, and that needs resolving first. Either that upper window needs removing, or a small window set above the roofline for light into the stair well.

I think you need this done properly to resolve the issues first; then submit the plans.

If you are just hoping for a planning opinion, then I would just redraw it as plain rectangle with the windows doors and roof as outlines. Lose all that stupid brick hatching and arch detail.

Presumably the pitch roof is in fact a front false canopy with the flat roof lower down at the back and not really obscuring the windows. If that's the case then it needs to be shown else it will likely be rejected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back