DRAYTON 3 WAY VALVE EXCHANGE, CHECK THIS FIRST BEFORE BUYING NEW.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just replaced my 20 year old 22mm Drayton 3 way valve, 679H340-30L0, for new MA1/679-3, to get my central heating system, working again.
On stripping down the old actuator, to gain access to the two micro switches, using a multimeter on resistance scale I found that both switches, were open circuit, then using 'switch cleaner & operating the push buttons, I found that both switches, worked again. On re-assembling the actuator again, I connected 3 of the 5 wires, to a 3 pin plug, the Yellow/Green EARTH, the Brown (power) & the Blue (Neutral), on switching on at the mains, i found that the indicator, would move from the W position (Hot Water) to the middle M position ( hot water & Central Heating. On switching off the power , the indicator, would return to the W position again.
Before installing the new valve, I removed the actuator & put a very small amount of Water Proof Silicone Grease (-30 deg C to +180 deg C ) on the operating shaft, for lubrication. While doing this, I discovered that my old actuator, would actually locate & fit on the new MA1/679-3) body, so the actuators are inter-changeable & can be easily attached using simply 2 large cable ties (re-movable type), I made up 2 steel U shaped clamps , which are adjustable, which make things a bit easier.
Wiring up the 5 wires, into the CH Control Box, is always time consuming, doing the recommended, one colour at a time method.
An alternative easier, long term solution is to purchase, two 5 way Plug & Socket connectors, which makes removing & replacing of the actuator, a 3/5 minute operation: . These can be purchased from:

Description​

5-way connector, 20A connector plug, 250V connector plug, arctic hayes, hayes uk, hayesuk, 556094

From
www.zoro.co.uk

5 Way Elec Connector Plug & Socket Set
Order Code (SKU): ZT1245752S

They were around £11 each, by buying two, you get free postage. You need one socket & two plugs, to do an exchange of actuators.

To, wire up, switch off power to the Control Panel, cut the existing 5 wire cable in half & then connect the control panel end to the new 5 way socket & then switch on power again. Exchange of units, is far easier & mor importantly quicker, as NO messing about, in the control panel.

Be careful, removing the motor from the pcb, via the 2.8mm spades, I have replaced mine, with a thicker spade 0.7mm, with a 0.85mm spade, to reduce them breaking off.

Hope all this improves your maintenance of these valves,

Al

Sponsored Links
In my opening line I did say I replaced my existing valve, complete with actuator, with a new one.
The point I was trying to make, was that I managed to get the old actuator working again, fairly easily & did not have to exchange the two micro switches, that I purchased from E Bay. I now have them as spares.

Also, I was trying to pass on the knowledge, that these actuators are inter changeable, which is NOT advise in the Drayton literature for the new valve assembly.

I ran out of time, doing the above, I forgot to mention the orientation, of my valve, my lable for the actuator, is on the side, at you look as it, therefore the ventilation slots, are also on the side. These actuators, have a history of getting hot, so I improved mine, by making a template & machining additional slots in the top & bottom of my actuation plastic cover. I then removed the cover on my new actuator & did the same, to improve the ventilation.

The pcb 2.8mm spades for the motor, are available under Part No Radio Spares Part No 680-2969P, its motor connectors are
Insulated Spade Electrical Crimp Connector Terminals - Red Blue Yellow
SKU: Connector: 2.8mm Female Insulated, Pack Size: 50, Colour: RedSKU: Connector: 2.8mm Female Insulated, Pa...
Total: £2.99
Item ID: 251885773559
Seller: switch_elec

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
They are not inter changeable if your having to strap it on with cable ties heath robinson would be proud of you and it is usually the little pcb in the valve that goes as opposed to microswitches as you had

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back