Drayton +3rf digits at/ boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to install my +3 digistat rf on to my vokera 24 boiler and am just a little confused.

I have a battery operated thermostat at the moment so there's no mains in to the existing one, just the blue and brown for the switching on/off and speedster l/n/e for the actual boiler power.

My question now is that the new digistat needs l/n as well as the switching but not earth so where do I provide the power from? Do I just run the current separate boiler power through the digistat but with no earth connecting on the digistat?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The Drayton has 2 units - stat and receiver.

The stat is wireless and battery operated. It goes on the wall to monitor and control temp.

The receiver is normally fixed next to boiler. It receives wireless signals from the stat. It needs a L and N which can be shared from the boiler's fused spur power supply. The receiver also has 2 switching wires, which usually connect into the boiler's electrics.

Thanks is for the response. So that confirms that the L/N for the power side on the receiver can come from the boilers power supply.

I guess my new question is should I also now wire the boiler to a fused spur? Since the boiler was fitted (quite a number of years ago) the fitter just wired it to a plug and just plugged in to an existing double socket on the wall.

Thanks

Thanks is for the response. So that confirms that the L/N for the power side on the receiver can come from the boilers power supply.

I guess my new question is should I also now wire the boiler to a fused spur? Since the boiler was fitted (quite a number of years ago) the fitter just wired it to a plug and just plugged in to an existing double socket on the wall.

Thanks

A plug for boiler is OK, as long as it only has a 3 amp fuse in it. In some ways it's better. If the plug is out, you can be sure that the boiler is completely isolated, and safe to rummage around in it's electrics.

Sponsored Links
Cool.

So it might sounds a little daft but am I best simply running a new L/N from the boiler connections to the new receiver or breaking in to the current boiler power cable and simply running that to the receiver and then continuing the cable from the receiver to the plug if you see what I mean?

Cool.

So it might sounds a little daft but am I best simply running a new L/N from the boiler connections to the new receiver or breaking in to the current boiler power cable and simply running that to the receiver and then continuing the cable from the receiver to the plug if you see what I mean?

I'd try to do seperate feed to each, rather than daisychaining one from the other.

Please also follow the fitting instructions , the receiver has to be at least 300mm away from the boiler or the boilers EMF will interfere with the signal from the stat and have a look at the positioning re other electrical appliances in close proximity, this is very important it will work initially but will keep losing signal if you dont follow the instructions

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have a bash at it tomorrow I think.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back