Drayton MA1 Mid Position Valve - wiring . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I've been subjected to the 'plumber from hell' this week who has changed a three way valve for me but left my system in quite a state. No water in it, valve not wired up etc etc! I've sorted the air lock and now have hot water and heating, the wiring remains unsolved however as the valve doesn't appear to move.

The new valve is a Drayton MA1 mid position and it has the following colour wires:

Earth, blue, orange, white, grey

The connector block that the old valve was wired to has the following colour wires:

Earth, blue, red, yellow, white

I've currently got them wired as follows:

Earth to earth
Blue to blue
Orange to red
white to yellow
grey to white

The valve doesn't appear to move at all however. Any ideas as to what the correct wiring should be?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Need to know exactly what the old valve was....they differ in colour codes and mode of operation.

If you've got anything working at all, there must be some connections going through the valve. The valve operates on and switches mains voltage. You'll need to test for voltages to proceed further. Are you competent to do this and have you got a meter or tester?

Sponsored Links
Thanks CroydonCorgi. The old valve was also a 3 way Drayton (don't know the model number as the plumber took it away!!). It was approx' ten years old however and had a swingometer looking pointer that you could physically grab hold of and move.

I do have a test meter and am OK with measuring for voltages as I served a good old mechanical apprenticeship some years back and can still remember my Instrumentation and Control lessons at day release!

As I move the stats in the room and on the cylinder, the boiler kicks in and out. The valve is "locked" in the mid position (H & W) however and doesn't move.

Any further help much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back