Drayton Midposition Actuator Problem ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a Drayton M1 3 port mid position valve controlling the Water / Heating flow in my house.

At the moment the radiators always come on, even if the thermostat is turned all the way down and heating is set to off on my programmable timer.

If I unclip the actuator from the valve I can turn the valve with a set of pliers, so I think the issue is more than likely to do with the actuator itself.

If I reattach the actuator and try to operate the actuator in manual mode the lever is very loose and hardly moves at all. The only way I'm able to get the spindle to turn at all is to unclip the actuator, insert a screwdriver into the notch and turn it that way.

Should I be thinking about replacing the whole thing or just a part of the actuator - they're not cheap!

Are there any tests that anyone can recommend to help me diagnose what the problem is ?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Theres a position arm on the side of the actuator whats it pointing to H, M, W ?

Check the springs are ok in the actuator they are common to break the plastic pins and the spring won't pull the actuator back to hw only position.

Theres a position arm on the side of the actuator whats it pointing to H, M, W ?

The label has dropped off my actuator, but comparing with images online it looks like its stuck on H at the moment.

Check the springs are ok in the actuator they are common to break the plastic pins and the spring won't pull the actuator back to hw only position.

I take it I should be disconnecting from the power supply before removing the cover etc.

Sponsored Links
If I unclip the actuator from the valve I can turn the valve with a set of pliers
You should be able to twiddle the shaft easily with your fingers. If it is stiff, try lubricating it with a little silicon lubricant. (WD40 etc will damage the 'O' ring seals.

You should be able to twiddle the shaft easily with your fingers. If it is stiff, try lubricating it with a little silicon lubricant. (WD40 etc will damage the 'O' ring seals.

Didn't realise that it should be that easy to rotate the shaft. I'll try the silicone lubricant.

The plastic clips holding the springs look intact to me, but difficult to see clearly as what looks like a motor of some description is in the way.

with the actuator removed from the body turn off the central heating and turn on the hotwater, if the boiler is in demand the actuator should have returned to the W position, if not then remove all power to the heating system. (use the spur or the breaker in the consumer unit) if it still doesn't return to W then it is faulty.

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back