Drayton wiser hub install to replace Honeywell BDR91

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i’ve just invested in a Drayton Wiser smart thermostat and am considering whether this is something I can install myself. My boiler (combi) is less than 2 years old and is controlled by a wireless Honeywell thermostat at present. The receiver I need to replace is a Honeywell BDR91 wireless receiver which is located next to my boiler. Does anyone have any experience of replacing one of these with a Drayton wiser hub? Is it easy? Are there any instructions anyone can point me to?

Many thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
It's just a matter of moving the existing wires from the BDR91 to the the terminals of the Drayton that have exactly the same function.

The BDR is:

bdr.JPG

The Drayton Single Channel (Combi) version is:

wiser.JPG

So from the above diagrams:

BDR N = Wiser N
BDR L1 & L2 = Wiser L
BDR A = Wiser COM
BDR B = Wiser 3

There shouldn't be a wire in BDR C, that's normal.

Only if there is presently a link inserted between L & A at the BDR, will you also need to fit the link between L & COM at the Drayton. Do not fit the link if it's not there already.

Thanks so much. I will give this a go over the weekend

Hi Stem,

Thank you very much for a detailed explanations. However I've got presently a link inserted between BDR L1 & L2 (please see photo attached). I am not sure how to fit this link at the Drayton. Please could you clarify?

Many thanks
Pav

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-30 at 12.56.35_a15efd55.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-30 at 12.56.35_a15efd55.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
There are three Drayton wiser thermostats 1717098548920.png we assume single channel is what you have? And as the old wiring is, that is the only one which we can be sure will work, and it will not need the link wire. It does not seem to do anything with the old thermostat either.

There are three Drayton wiser thermostats View attachment 344681 we assume single channel is what you have? And as the old wiring is, that is the only one which we can be sure will work, and it will not need the link wire. It does not seem to do anything with the old thermostat either.

Thank you very much Eric, yes you right it is a single channel that i have. Understood. It is unclear though as to why this link has been wired at first place. Please note i've made a new thread re my question as per forum's rules (didn't know at the time of asking my question here that i have to do it) where RandomGrinch suggested earlier that my installer may have left this spare link wire in place, just in case it was needed in the future! Now i feel confident and will give it a go this weekend.

I've got presently a link inserted between BDR L1 & L2
Seen this a few times, so a fairly common installation mistake. Because both terminals are marked L some feel that both terminals should be connected to L and add the unnecessary link to join them together. When actually the two terminals marked L are already connected together inside the BDR anyway. If you were to remove the link you would find that BDR would still work.

The second L terminal is just there for convenience of wiring when required by some installations. But you don't need to worry about it. Yours isn't one of them.

Thank you very much Stem, all clear now. Will try to install today. Thanks once again!

You're welcome. In your case no links at all are required anywhere. Just the four wires to the four terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back