Adding Drayton Wiser TRVs to a NEST setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hoping someone can help as I have looked everywhere without success.

My setup...
I have a fairly new NEST setup that controls hot water and central heating from a Valliant ECOtek plus. I have a megaflow in the loft (probably not relevant). All radiators are on a single circuit.

What I'm trying to do...
I want to control the heating of upstairs bedrooms independently of downstairs, and so when I saw the Drayton Wiser Smart TRV I thought I had found a solution and bought a bunch of them.
I have since found out I need the Drayton HUB installed for the Drayton TRV's to be "smart".

so before I buy that my question is...

Can I install the Drayton Hub to take over just the heating of the house from NEST? If so whats the best way to do this. Can I wire in the Drayton Hub and somehow have it overriding the NEST control of heating?

If this setup is valid, is it a DIY job to install the HUB in this config?

Should I cut my losses and send the Drayton Wiser TRV's back and wait until NEST bring some NEST compatible smart TRV's out?

Sponsored Links
You probably could do that, but imo, you’d be better getting the Drayton to control both heating and hot water.

Unfortunately Nest stopped having linked TRV heads when Google took over.

But big question do they need to be linked?

I used eQ-3 TRV heads, there are also Terrier i30 heads, not as good as Wiser, but a lot cheaper.

Not sure if your boiler is OpenTherm, but only the single channal Wiser can work with the OpenTherm module as far as I understand.

It seems no perfect system, all central heating is a compromise, you need to decide what is good enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back