1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Drayton Wiser TRVs to a NEST setup

Discussion in 'Home Automation' started by Mark Harrop, 3 Oct 2021.

1. Mark Harrop

Mark Harrop

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    Hoping someone can help as I have looked everywhere without success.

My setup...
    I have a fairly new NEST setup that controls hot water and central heating from a Valliant ECOtek plus. I have a megaflow in the loft (probably not relevant). All radiators are on a single circuit.

What I'm trying to do...
    I want to control the heating of upstairs bedrooms independently of downstairs, and so when I saw the Drayton Wiser Smart TRV I thought I had found a solution and bought a bunch of them.
    I have since found out I need the Drayton HUB installed for the Drayton TRV's to be "smart".

so before I buy that my question is...

Can I install the Drayton Hub to take over just the heating of the house from NEST? If so whats the best way to do this. Can I wire in the Drayton Hub and somehow have it overriding the NEST control of heating?

If this setup is valid, is it a DIY job to install the HUB in this config?

Should I cut my losses and send the Drayton Wiser TRV's back and wait until NEST bring some NEST compatible smart TRV's out?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You probably could do that, but imo, you’d be better getting the Drayton to control both heating and hot water.

4. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately Nest stopped having linked TRV heads when Google took over.

But big question do they need to be linked?

I used eQ-3 TRV heads, there are also Terrier i30 heads, not as good as Wiser, but a lot cheaper.

Not sure if your boiler is OpenTherm, but only the single channal Wiser can work with the OpenTherm module as far as I understand.

It seems no perfect system, all central heating is a compromise, you need to decide what is good enough.