Drayton Zone Actuator ZA5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Thanks to these forums I have been able to 'solve' my lack of heating mystery however I still have a 1 query.
My house has been fitted with 3 of the above zone actuators along with the Drayton wireless thermostats. My house has 3 areas of heating - the bathroom rads the downstairs zone and the upstairs zone. The bathroom rads are always on except for my bathroom which has never worked despite changing a 'stuck' TRV. Anyway I can live with that - just. My problem was that the upstairs heating never really worked properly after the first year of fitting. Come the winter of the second year I found that I had to operate the digital receiver manually to have heating and this year (year 3 of fitting) nothing worked. The thermostat was requesting heat and the receiver was getting the message and both seemed to be working fine but the radiators were cold. Finally found the culprit was the actuator which was permanently on the A mode whilst the others were on B and working fine. pressed the black button on the top and it slowly went to B and voila! warm radiators!
My question now is - and from these forums I understand that the black switch should move freely - indeed click from A to B and back. This one seemed to be sluggish as if coated in grease and dust - I understand that I can lubricate it - would this be with a simple spray of WD40 or is it more complicated and intricated than that?

Sponsored Links
indeed click from A to B and back. This one seemed to be sluggish as if coated in grease and dust - I understand that I can lubricate it - would this be with a simple spray of WD40 or is it more complicated and intricated than that?

The A - B on the side of the actuator is not a lever it's just a indicator of the position of the valve, The lever that is for manually opening the valve is the one on the end of the actuator.

If your valve is sticking it's more likley the actual brass valve that's more likley stiff/seizing.

If you look on the opposite side of the A-B there will be a button you can push in that releases the actuator from the brass valve.
Once off check if the brass spindle turns freely.

Hi Seco services and thanks for the suggestion. Both thermostats and receivers were working properly and it was as you said the little spindles in the actuator that were totally bunged up with gunk and not working. I cleaned them on both actuators and have had the central heating working a treat for nearly 2 weeks now. Thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back