DREADED IDEAL BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I have inherited my parents house, but with an ideal he30 isar boiler, fitted some 7 years ago by warmfront.
it was fine then in the last 12 months max, it has fitted a new genuine orange pcb, thermistors, heatexchanger, temp probe, ignition probe, new pump , gas regulator valve all was fine for few months, but now I cannot get it to switch to central heating, only dhw, which works fine. no fault code is displayed, just the number 5, then very quickly c then to d and there it stays, the nylon arm on the side of the cartridge moves from forward position to the rear and back to the front and stays there.
could this be the cartridge itself at fault or something else making this happen,
please help, no hair left to pull out soon.

cheers mike

Sponsored Links
slideimage_skips_mini.jpg (y)

Mike, it is a case of give a dog a bad name etc etc
Your boiler is no different from any other- they will all break down if makers recommended preventative maintenance is not carried out. If you want to see what the scope of this work is, then look at the manual.

I would say that is minimum requirement

Having said all this, I would not be surprised if your boiler does not spring back to life if suggested remedial work is undertaken.

Now I will retire to my bunker and await incoming from Ideal haters. In my book there are no bad boiler, only some that are designed badly, Isar in my books is not a bad design

Check for dripping hot taps or leaks on the hot supply pipes.

Sponsored Links
As already advised your boiler is sensing a HW demand, you either have a dripping tap on the HW side or a small leak or the DHW flow switch is faulty, I know some posters have spoken of Ideal haters but your model really is ****, if you can afford it get something decent with a 7 year warranty it will pay for itself through time

Flow switch on an Isar?????? Personally I just thought dhw demand is picked up by thermister.

Flow switch on an Isar?????? Personally I just thought dhw demand is picked up by thermister.
I think he means diverter valve cartridge.
The Isar has a cold water thermistor that senses water passing over it and will bring on boiler for preheat. This means he priority keeps shutting off heating.
Easy test is shutting off old water to boiler and see if hearing then kicks in. Wait a minute and turn water back on, if you hear a water noise then you have a leak or dripping tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back