Dreaded potterton fsb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
My potterton fsb 30 seems to eat electrode sets.
Issue is weird I'm having when I try to get my central heating only the boiler attempts to light ignition but fails after few attempts then locks down ignition red light.
BUT water only it works it heats my hot water, now the odd thing is when I see the boiler is fired up and I then pop heating on it will then heat radiators.

So when it s running for water and heating is called for it will run and doesn't lock down. I've ordered another electrode set, as wires seems dodgy the main pcb board is fine as I had a spare swapped them over and all is the same.

Sponsored Links
If you shut down the HW heating with both HW & CH on, does the boiler continue to fire on CH only?, if not, then hardly a ignition problem.

Sponsored Links
No it doesn't...
If it did what would you advise?
So, if you are saying in answer to "does the boiler continue to fire on CH only after the HW is shut off" that it doesn't continue to fire it would look like a motorized valve problem but then this shouldn't flag a boiler lock out IMO, have you a 3 port mid position valve, Y plan, or a number of motorized valves, S plan?.

When was the boiler serviced and how long did the task take?

Right the plot thickens the electrodes have been replaced now as soon as the door is popped back on it stop working and turns off. No red light just stops burning?

It's due in 2 months... All I really want to know is, this going to be a major parts costing or simply a service...
Not doing ANYTHING myself just don't want to be taken for a ride with continuous parts renewal until it's solved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back