Dremel - best buy & Accessories

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I searched and only found some old threads , but interesting

I'm thinking of getting a Dremel 8220 cordless dremel with some accessories

I wanted to cut down a couple of electrical spade connectors , and thought this tool would do.
Also some fine sanding and perhaps some fine routing & engraving

A) cordless worth getting, OR stay with a Corded and perhaps use the flexible shaft
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008ETG...olid=1UQXK3AIKKSCS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

b) Accessories that will fit - seen quite a few kits on amazon, but not sure if they will fit, not really clear

c) What accessories are useful and often used -
Plunge router tool
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009EQ...olid=1UQXK3AIKKSCS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Precision tool
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-261...JMEXTTE19BP&psc=1&refRID=B3ZQ6XDN0JMEXTTE19BP

Multikit of accessories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Spe...ALT|Dremel&rnid=1632651031&rps=1&s=diy&sr=1-5

D) And of course - any alternatives that you would recommend

E) Replacement batteries - not found those on amazon - kits come with 1 2AH battery

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have both corded and cordless (x2) . Corded one is used most in my workshop, I use it with a flexible shaft, cordless is there but not used that much. Flexible shaft enables much much better control for finer work.

I have the other cordless in my toolbag at work, incredibly useful there.

It can be a pain if you don't have enough batteries for the cordless but the unbranded ones are actually really good and long lasting as well as cheap.

Get the quick change chuck, it's the best thing you can get for the dremel.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply,
I think i will go corded , 4300 or 4000, as the 4000 platinum has a lot of extras, BUT the reviews are that it gets too hot.
The 4300 has some poor quality reviews and reports of failures and not working after a few months, which is a shame as its made by Borsch and i would expect a better quality review
Its a lot of money circa under £200 with the accessories and kits
But I like the idea of flexible shaft , the router table (seems to not be available in UK now) and the plunge accessory.

I must admit, today I have been looking at the Tacklife, and just reading some of the reviews , and you get a kit for around £35 and with the accessories.
And with a Dremel 150 kit - around £60 , so quite a difference, not sure how much quality difference between the £35 kit & dremel £140 kit for 4300

Still looking into , Thanks so much for the feedback very useful to help my process

UPDATE
Well, I finally did purchase a Dremel - the 4000 platinum kit was reduced down to £130 on amazon, so been watching for a few years!!!!!! and finally decided to purchase.
Along with a few other accessories -
Vice
Plunge base
Workstation - reduced
Quick change Chuck
Router Bits, when for the Dremel/Bosch expensive ones having seen reviews on the cheaper units - need to do a small bit of routing a few days back, and my Dewalt 625 far to big for that.
Longmate set of 500+ accessories - reduced

found in the past, that its useful to have a lot of the accessories, as when you need the tool, the bit you need is not in the kit!!!!
anyway , a bit of a splash out

I use Milwaukee M12 Die grinder with 3.2mm collet adapter.

The new generation Dremels are very poorly built, my cordless one lasted a few weeks before making horrible noises and packing up.

I have borrowed the earlier Dremels (20 years old?) and they are in a different league build quality and materials wise, nigh on bullet proof.

I have borrowed the earlier Dremels (20 years old?) and they are in a different league build quality and materials wise, nigh on bullet proof.
Bosch took over the company in early 90's so maybe that was when they went downhill
Fingers crossed it lasts a while

the Milwaukee M12 Die grinder, looks like a good tool

A) cordless worth getting, OR stay with a Corded and perhaps use the flexible shaft
The corded has more power and the battery version has very limited run time - same as all battery tools. If you want a battery tool with longer run time take a look at Milwaukee, Bosch, etc who have 12 volt cordless die grinders in their ranges that will take Dremel-type tooling if you use an appropriate collet. They also have the advantage of having batteries which are usable on other tools in the same range, whereas Dremel don't really offer that much (odd, when you consider that they are owned by Bosch). The downside is that you pay for the extra power and durability in terms of weight. I've used the 18 volt Makita cordless and it's just too big and heavy - the Milwaukee M12 looks good and may well replace my Dremel corded in due course

b) Accessories that will fit - seen quite a few kits on amazon, but not sure if they will fit, not really clear
Basically 1/8in shank works with Dremel stuff and is widely available. Some of the big Chinese sets are amazing value

c) What accessories are useful and often used -
Plunge router tool
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009EQ...olid=1UQXK3AIKKSCS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Unless you are working on doll's houses the range of cutters available for the Dremel is extremely limited (not too many people selling 1/8in shank router cutters, they are all very small and the small shank makes them more prone to snapping if pushed too hard). A basic 1/4in trim router such as the Katsu (basically an exact copy of the Makita RT0700 - there are a lot of those around, now) is not only a lot more powerful (600 watts) but has a half-decent plunge base available, and there are many firms making cutters with 1/4in and 8mm shanks which will work with the Katsu. If you intend to do much routing, I'd say save your money and buy a real router

I can see the grip being useful when using burrs and for tasks like engraving (although maybe a flexible shaft would be better), although I don't have one. I did start out by buying the Dremel Multikit; the main thing I used from that were the grinding wheels (I have probably gone through 40 or more in the last five years - very handy for all sorts of metal cutting), but I have used the sanding and buffing accessories a number of times to do repairs on plastic and metal power tool bodies and I have a set of burrs which I also use on repair work

I think I'd echo @Keithmac 's comments about quality having slipped. The Dremel, when it first appeared, was a really cheap alternative to the stand hung motors with flexible drive shafts of the day, such as the Foredom. Now the Dremel seems expensive in comparison to a lot of the alternatives. I haven't killed mine - so far - so maybe I've been lucky (but then I don't use it much, either). I'm now may need to do some cleaning up of metal casting flasgh on hardware, so I have started to look seriously at an "industrial" corded tool which can also use the Dremel-type accessories.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had always assumed that Dremels are "toys" aimed at the DIY market. I am happy to be corrected though.

Looking at the £20 kit of accessories, one of the parts is a bur die grinder bit. If I look at the Orbital Fasteners site, the cheapest grinder bit is more expensive than the whole Dremel accessory kit.

And I say the above as someone that once purchased a RotoZip, used it once, the bit snapped and have never used it since.

After reading @Keithmac 's post, I may buy a die grinder though- that said, after a quick look, they seem to fall in to 2 camps, those that run up to 900rpm, and those that run from 900 to 30,000 (ish) RPM. TBH, I am not sure which speed type is best suited to which type of task.

Having seen them used in the Timbabuild videos, to grind away rotten timber (I currently use chisels and an oscillating saw) I am tempted to get one. I guess that means that I need the lower speed ones. If I do purchase one, would it not be suitable for the mini cutting blades for metal pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back