Dribbling shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved into a new house with what looks like an electric shower unit from the 80's! When you turn it on the water just dribbles out making having a shower impossible.

I've never had an electric shower before - can I just go to B&Q and buy a new one and get someone to swap them over or is there anything else I should consider?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Simon

Sponsored Links
To consider....existing cable size,breaker or fuse capacity,kw of proposed shower, pipe entry, and if anyone rang me and said they had a Gainsborough shower bought from B&Q to fit, I'd tell them where to go.

solo said:
To consider....existing cable size,breaker or fuse capacity,kw of proposed shower, pipe entry, and if anyone rang me and said they had a Gainsborough shower bought from B&Q to fit, I'd tell them where to go.

Hi Solo,

Ive just bought a Gainsborough shower bought from B&Q, any chance you could fit in for me? :D

Just wondered whats the prob with Gainsborough Showers? they just a poor make dangerous etc?

Reason I ask is ive got one :( please be good news!

Gaz

I found them flimsy and the case was a b*****d to get on. Might have changed now but they are on my don't do list.

Sponsored Links
solo said:

Hi Solo,

I've had a look at the current unit - it's called Triton and says 80W underneath.

Would I be best getting someone in to give me advice?

Ta

Simon

I have had problems with Gainsborough in the past too.
Go for a Mira or Triton the higher the kilowatt the stronger shower but the cable has to be up to grade 10mm for anything above 9.5 kw.
Pete

Hi folks,

I've managed to get the front off.

There are two pipes coming into the unit (one hot and one cold I guess!) and a grey electric cable.

Because of the two pipes (and my homebase bathrooms) catalogue, I'm assuming a need a mixed shower and that this will work without replacing any wiring.

Would this be correct?

Simon

You guess correctly you have a mixer shower with an electric pump.
All you need is a replacement wall pump the cable size only relates to electric heated showers.

Best going for the same model as the piping and electric cable points will be the same or very similar.
You will have to isolate the hot and cold feeds and of course the electric current at the consumer unit take the fuse out or trip the mcb and make sure no one touches it while you work on the shower.
Good luck
Pete

Cheers Galena1,

I wasn't sure if I could have a power shower. Are there any electrical requirements? Is it likely the cable going into my current unit will be ok (or does the cabling only really apply to electric showers?)

Ta

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back