Drill battery charger outputs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) With an old Hilti charger, TCU12/24M - according to the label, input 240V, output voltage is 12V. I have no battery to try it with and I've never actually used the charger. I just want to see whether its serviceable.

Anyway - green light comes on. It has five terminals in the hole. Voltmeter across various combinations of terminals gives either a few mV, or 5.61 V (five point six).

Is this because the charger doesn't raise the output until a load is sensed? i.e. a battery is inserted?

2) With a 14.5 V DeWalt charger, which is in frequent use and works fine, when I put a voltmeter across the two terminals I get a reading of 51 V (fifty one). Can this be normal?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
51v sounds irregular.

5.6 over 2 pairs will give you nominal 12v probably for cell balancing and the 5th terminal will be some kind of communication such as temp sensor or overload, cut off etc.

Thanks Sammyinnit.

I just measured my other DeWalt 14.5 volt charger - it also reads 51 volts!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back