Drill Saw bits - any good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, seeing as this forums search engine blows, i'm starting this thread.

The Drill Saw bits, ya know the drill bits that also saw as well?
They any good?

Screwfix do a set for about £10.

What experience do you guys have with them?
What meterials are they best used for?
What kind of jobs would you use one for?

Thanks for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
I think they can be useful, once in a while.

They can make crude holes in material where access for a jig saw or reciprocating saw is too difficult, and where you don't much mind about accuracy.

In my experience, they don't cut very fast. Also, I don't imagine the bearings of most power drills are designed for the sideways thrust they impose (but I don't know this for sure).

They are the sort of tool you keep for those occasions when all the proper methods of cutting into something don't work.

Stivino,
no mate, they're not the ones. Iddly i can't find them on Screwfix now, yet i found them yesterday.

Xerxes, thanks mate, i guessed as much. I think i could have done with some when trying to cut a back panel out of my kitchen unit. Now i've kind of buggered my jigsaw.

Sponsored Links
They are the sort of tool you keep for those occasions when all the proper methods of cutting into something don't work.

Stitch drilling usually does the job with a bash from a hammer and chisel to punch it after drilling a line of holes.

being an engineering type person I wouldn't expose my drills to side thrust.

What is often neglected in thought is the idea that good oldfashioned hand tools are sometimes quicker than power tools. Remember the manufacturer of power tools has one main aim. sell to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back