Ground drill bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always used Heller drill bits (mainly for the name) but I saw some Blue Spot hss drills in Tk maxx. Well for the money they are fantastic, they also do hss drills in individual sizes in tubes but they say half ground. What does that mean?

Sponsored Links
I do hope someone can jump in and help me here, but as I understand it, half ground drills are roll forged and then ground down as far as their flutes.
A fully ground drill is just that......ground along its entire length so that it's cutting diameter is seriously accurate.
These are the drills designated for such as the aircraft industry where tolerances are vital - to the likes of what we do, a half ground drill is fine.
They still use the same tip angles of 118 and 140 degrees ( I think that's correct) and fully ground drills have more cobalt content in their alloy.
Over to others!
John :)

I do hope someone can jump in and help me here, but as I understand it, half ground drills are roll forged and then ground down as far as their flutes.
A fully ground drill is just that......ground along its entire length so that it's cutting diameter is seriously accurate.
These are the drills designated for such as the aircraft industry where tolerances are vital - to the likes of what we do, a half ground drill is fine.
They still use the same tip angles of 118 and 140 degrees ( I think that's correct) and fully ground drills have more cobalt content in their alloy.
Over to others!
John :)

Thanks for your help John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back