Hex drill bits - where can I get 'em?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Managed to break a couple of hex shank bits this weekend. This isn't the first time this has happened! First time I just bought a set of three, and just used the one that was the same size as the one that was broke.

This is not a cheap way to replace drill bits.

Anywhere I can get a set of drill bits all the same size, like you can for HSS bits at Screwfix, Toolstation etc.? They don't seem to do sets of (eg) 10 for hex shank bits. The closest thing I've seen is the Erbauer set at £16.75, which includes a few each of 3mm and 3.5mm... but still a load of sizes that I don't want.

Sponsored Links
what sort of tool are you using them in?

Thanks, but at those prices, plus shipping from the States, it's cheaper to keep on buying multi-size sets to replace single losses!

Sponsored Links
Get one of those hex shank chucks and save yourself a fortune on posh bits.

Get one of those hex shank chucks and save yourself a fortune on posh bits.

How would that help? I want to be able to swap quickly between drill bit and driver bit. Unless I'm missing something, a chuck adaptor won't help me!

Maybe it will, if you use a standard bit holder in your drill, and load your drill bit into the chuck then you can swap between driver bit and the chuck. Not a very elegant solution I admit, but no different than using an SDS shank chuck when you want to use a normal bit in an SDS drill.
If you regularly go through the drill/plug/screw or drill/csink screw repetition then a second driver is the best solution. Either a cordless driver or drill/driver. If you have a cordless combi drill for example then you can probably get the driver only (no hammer) equivalent for minimal expense as a 'naked tool' Loads on eBay (new).

Maybe it will, if you use a standard bit holder in your drill, and load your drill bit into the chuck then you can swap between driver bit and the chuck. Not a very elegant solution I admit, but no different than using an SDS shank chuck when you want to use a normal bit in an SDS drill.
If you regularly go through the drill/plug/screw or drill/csink screw repetition then a second driver is the best solution. Either a cordless driver or drill/driver. If you have a cordless combi drill for example then you can probably get the driver only (no hammer) equivalent for minimal expense as a 'naked tool' Loads on eBay (new).

I have been considering the 'second tool' option, but hadn't considered the 'naked' option. Thanks for the advice!

Screwfix sell them individually as well as in sets from 2mm - 6mm, thats what I use.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...harset=UTF-8&fh_search=titanium+coated+drills

The toolstation ones are not much good, the drill comes away from the hex end.

Axminsters also sel the individual Fisch brad point ones which are good.

Jason
Damn - I hadn't seen them in the Screwfix catalogue! That's what I need, although a touch more expensive than I'd hoped for something that seems born to break (or maybe I'm just too clumsy :) )...

Thanks for the info

Used to break them all the time in my cordless screwdriver, was gonna get the hex chuck thingy but now I have the 10.8 volt Bosch drill with a proper chuck and I'm back on the cheap stuff.
(No, I don't mean White Lightning cider)

Maybe worth investigating if the smaller sizes are standard bits loctited into a hex. shank. IIRC Loctited parts can be released if you heat them to about 350 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back