Drilling a 40mm hole in a cast iron downpipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all! I've just purchased 'Downpipe rainwater diversion set' from Lidl.

It includes everything in the pack needed to fit it, inc., the drill. The drill is what I understand to be a hole saw/core drill bit/crown drill (I understand they are different names for the same thing?). The drill bit in the centre of the hole saw is about 6mm and the outer saw is about 40mm. I was wondering if this would be suitable for drilling into a 100yr old cast iron down pipe out of the box. I have no idea what material the hole saw is made of? I have never attempted this kind of drilling before and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance

Sponsored Links
What do the instructions say? Very probably the saw will only be suitable for plastic.

Best bet is to drill a ring of small holes and clean up with file after.

What do the instructions say? Very probably the saw will only be suitable for plastic.

Thanks for the replies! :D The instructions say that it is suitable for metal drain pipes, but I would imagine it's referring to modern sheet metal drain pipes. In fact if you look at the picture closely the drainpipe is metal. I've looked elsewhere on the website for drilling in cast iron and a hole saw was recommended, except I don't know what type of hole saw is meant, ie, what material?

Sponsored Links
Cast iron pipes are very soft, very low grade. Just give it a whirl (literally).

A good quality hole saw will go through a cast iron drain pipe.
Don't push to hard and it will do the job.
Used a Starrett hole saw with no problems.

I can vouch for Starret hole saw's too, you cant do better.

Wotan

Providing the hole saw is of half decent quality, it will go through the cast stack

Thanks for the replies. ;) Had I gone ahead I think I would have been fairly confident. However, we've been rationalising our plants and my wife now doesn't think it's worth putting a waterbutt in the front garden, but I might still keep the kit in case she changes her mind again (she has been known to :LOL:).

Hello all! I've just purchased 'Downpipe rainwater diversion set' from Lidl.

It includes everything in the pack needed to fit it, inc., the drill. The drill is what I understand to be a hole saw/core drill bit/crown drill (I understand they are different names for the same thing?). The drill bit in the centre of the hole saw is about 6mm and the outer saw is about 40mm. I was wondering if this would be suitable for drilling into a 100yr old cast iron down pipe out of the box. I have no idea what material the hole saw is made of? I have never attempted this kind of drilling before and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back