Straight drill hole jig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hole jig for achieving straight holes with my drill. This is great, but limited to fairly large drill pieces and screws/bolts.

I need bushings or alternative for the smaller bits between 1-4mm thick.

I have seen a v drill guide but my jaw dropped when I saw how much it was going for.

Ideally I want to make a similar jig using wood. I don't have access to a drill press, any suggestions without purchasing any more tools?

Sponsored Links
wood is ok for within 2 or 3mm as the drill will quickly wear away the sides even when held correctly[central and right angles]

how deep do you want to go?

Are you drilling for mortices or what?

You don't say what the jig is for apart from "drilling straight holes", or what you are trying to achieve with the jig.

Sponsored Links
I am building a woodworking bench/mitre saw stand.

It is for getting straight holes for screws which are approx. 8cm long.

I also want to drill pocket holes at 45 degreed with a 3/4mm drill bit for rigidity.

For straight holes to (wood)screw one piece of wood to another I'd just mark the holes out and drill/countersink them. If I wanted a pilot hole for the thread, or if I was using nuts and bolts I'd just use the clearance hole as a guide. If you want to pocket screw parts of it together using angled holes, and it's a one off with only a few holes to drill just make a jig of the right size and angle out of a bit of hardwood. I wouldn't over think it all if I were you. generally jigs are only worth making if they allow you to do something you really can't do without a jig, or something you're going to do many times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back