sds drill the right tool to dig a channel to lay cables?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the carpets on ground floor with laminates and while I'm doing it I want to lay some speaker cables and HDMI cable in the living room. It's concrete floor so I'm looking to dig a channel then place a plastic pipe and seal again with cement. This way I can also pull out and change at later time if required.

Is SDS drill with chisel the right tool to do this job? any recommendations on the drill for under £100?

Edit:
One more question, is the SDS drill accurate? I'm also looking to do some wood work involving to drill holes for dowels, I have a simple handhold dowel jig so just wondering if the SDS drill at rotary mode is accurate and dont vibrate much to suit this job?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
yep just the job for job number one, I would cut the channel with a grinder first then break it out with the SDS, though it could be done with a bolster or cold chisel.
As for second job an sds with breaker capabilities might be a bit cumbersome for doweling but should otherwise be OK,especiallif you could get someone to help hold the jig

One more question, is the SDS drill accurate?

No. It works on the principal of a hammer and chisel so If it's fine woodworking I'd look at a drill more fit for purpose. I have a floor standing radial pillar drill for woodwork.

Attachments

• Special-Direct-System-chuck.png
    Special-Direct-System-chuck.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 245
As for second job an sds with breaker capabilities might be a bit cumbersome for doweling but should otherwise be OK,especiallif you could get someone to help hold the jig

No. It works on the principal of a hammer and chisel so If it's fine woodworking I'd look at a drill more fit for purpose. I have a floor standing radial pillar drill for woodwork.

thanks, so for the drilling of dowel holes, I'm looking at the Milwaukee percussion drill as I already have an impact driver ( think I should really bought the combi drill at the first place), so I can use the batteries. I understand the percussion drill have the rotary only option which will make it accurate enough for doweling?

Sponsored Links
I understand the percussion drill have the rotary only option which will make it accurate enough for doweling?

Yes, but if you are buying an SDS drill anyway (and you've never used one before?), you'll find you will literally never use the percussion feature on a cordless EVER! You'll always go for the SDS for any tough brickwork.

So, just buy the Milwaukee drill driver that suits your batteries. By not having the percussion feature, it will be cheaper, more compact for tighter spaces, and lighter also. Get the brushless version if funds allow.

Gaz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back