Drill through steel lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m attempting to put some recess blinds up, and have come across steel lintel.

Can anyone recommend how to drill through this please?

Thanks, Paul

Sponsored Links
The steel is generally pretty hard these days so I'd suggest using a decent quality M42 HSS twist drill (also called HSS-G or Cobalt HSS). If you need to drill bigger than 6mm then pre-pilot with a 3 or 4mm first (and BTW deWalt have a parented two step drill.with a built in piloting tip). Don't make the mistake of running the drill too fast - 400 to 500rpm is more than enough - and a spot or two of light oil (e.g. 3-in-1) on the tip of the drill from time to time doesn't go amiss, either

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

I read elsewhere self tapping screws may do the job, what are your thoughts on that?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I read elsewhere self tapping screws may do the job, what are your thoughts on that?
Depends on what the lintel is made out of. If it's a thin folded steel box (like a Catnic steel lintel) then self drilling screws (NOT self tapping which are designed to cut a thread in a pre-drilled hole - self drilling generally have two wings, one either side of the point, and a pointed drilling nose and actually DRILL the hole then tap it) then yes, self tappers will work providing you've already drilled pilot holes whilst self drilling fixings will.generally work without that. However, if you are trying to screw onto a UB (universal beam) made from thicker steel than a couple of mm, then a self tapper will get you nowhere and even a self driller may need a pilot hole to be drilled in order to work.

The difficulty is in knowing what it is you are drilling into without actually exposing it

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for your detailed responses, I’ll go and crack on with this following your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back