Drill Wobble?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Makita HR1830 on eBay, and it seemed fine until I went to use it today.

I'm just using a normal Makita SDS+ 6mm masonry bit and it's noticeably wobbling when it's powered on. It's not just the drill bit that's wobbling, it's the whole end of the drill, from the release mechanism forward.

I've put up a cameraphone video on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roTKfSlpPEg&feature=youtu.be

Have I bought a dodgy drill?

Sponsored Links
I've only drilled a couple of holes and it's difficult to tell if it's me or if it's the drill, but it's not drilling the right size, it's drilling too wide.

Yeah, I've drilled another 5mm hole for a yellow wall plug... the 4mm screw didn't unscrew when I tried to take it back out, the wall plug isn't catching in the hole because it's too big.

Emailed the retailer.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like he's selling returns.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks folks. That's just what I'm going to do.

I'm going to get the model up since this one doesn't have hammer only function.

The seller replies in text speak and claims not to understand what my problem is. I suspect I'm going to have problems when I try to charge them my postage costs.

Its very unlikely the drills fault.
Any sds will do that as the bit is not held in a chuck but rather the sds retaining mechanism.

Also if your just drilling blockwork its soft in comparison to say a poured concrete wall.

You'll probably find your plugs will work in a solid concrete wall.
Solution is try a smaller bit or use a larger plug which hammers in firmly.

Totally sure.
I've seen your video and our Bosch GBH 2-26DFR wobbles more than that and it has drilled a few thousand holes into solid concrete. And it drills just fine.
Your faffing over nothing imo.
If it spins and has a decent impact thats all you need. The above mentioned drill does that very well indeed.

When your drill has drilled a similar amount of holes you can say the same. :mrgreen:

That piece on the end is a dust shroud. It has nothing to do with the drill mechanism.
Your drill is just fine.
Its running in reverse there btw.

So taking your advice I've put a smaller bit in - I've added the chuck and put in a 3mm masonry drill bit. The intention was to drill a small hole into the plaster and then brick to take a wire spice rack.

With the chuck in you can see how badly the wobble is. I may be utterly inept at DIY but I'm not stupid enough to try using a drill when it wobbles like this.

So either I'm fitting things wrong, or the drill is faulty. Given it's the same wobble with no bits or chuck in then I think it's the latter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmr35MMG_cw&feature=youtu.be

You can't look at 20 seconds into that and say that's right, surely?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back