Drill Wobble?

Yep. Looks fine.
If you want no wobble than buy a drill with a chuck thats threaded unto the drill arbour.

Sponsored Links
I don't believe that they'd sell a drill, and a chuck for it, if it was useless.

How on earth could that be fine? I can't drill a hole with that, the most I could do is mess up my wall.

Just leave it to the professionals.
I'll buy your drill if you don't want it.

Sponsored Links
What ever. No skin of my nose.
These forums are full of diy idiots like you who wouldn't know one end of a drill from the other.

Just stick to your day job and leave the shelf hanging to the professionals before you hurt yourself or somebody else. :LOL:

That's staggering.

First of all it's a DIY help forum, of course it's full of DIY idiots. What did you expect to find? Needlework?

As for not knowing one end of a drill from the other. Well of course I don't. Why do you think I'm posting this thread asking for help?

As little as I do know though, I know that the chuck would be pointless if it was intended to wobble like that. So why sell the drill if it does that? Your response has been that it's all fine. I don't believe you.

Needlework?

Maybe you should take up "needlework" instead of playing with drills?
On second thoughts don't as you might poke your eye out. :LOL:

Maybe you should go and see a psychologist about your issues rather than spending your time on internet forums trying to feel better than people.

Back on topic... Does anyone have any idea if I might be doing something wrong with the drill? The chuck came with a black screw which doesn't seem to go anywhere.

That looks like it wobbles less than mine. And into a normal concrete block, mine drills just fine.

SDS chucks do not hold the bit tightly. If they did, they simply would not work.

May I respectfully suggest that perhaps your drilling technique is at fault?

It almost certainly is at fault - I'm fairly clueless.

Are you saying though that even with the wobble it should still do the job I need it to do?

I have rather tough walls, and the cordless impact drill I was using couldn't cope - even with a new bit it would take 3 or 4 minutes to drill a hole for a wall plug. Even then the battery was so tired and at the end of it's life that I had to constantly charge it.

So I decided to buy a new drill, I was looking at 70 or 80 quid on something corded, since I've never needed my drill to be cordless.

I saw the SDS drill on eBay, and got it for £90 including delivery. I've subsequently bought the chuck for it and an aluminium set of SDS attachments, ao I'm way over what I thought I'd spend.

When I did drill into the wall it cut through it like butter and made the job much easier.. so it's certainly powerful enough for the job.

So... even with the wobble, should I still be able to drill an even hole of the correct size? Am I just wrong in thinking the wobble will affect things? In my mind if it's a 5mm hole and the drill is wobbling to either side it'll end up being a 7mm hole.... am I wrong there too?

The drill won't wobble significantly when pressed into a hard object to drill it. Go through the plaster with the hammer switched off, then make sure the tip is firmly (but not forcefully) pressed into the brick, and straight, before drilling. Start off slowly and let it sink in before you raise the speed. If you can't get a red plug to fit in a hole made by a 6mm bit doing that, then I don't know what to tell you.

When you say you bought the chuck, do you mean a 3-jaw chuck for using ordinary bits with it? If so, do NOT use that for hammer drilling, and do not use it for metal drilling. And don't expect an accurate hole, either.

And what do you mean aluminium attachments?

A 3 jaw chuck, yes. I'd already picked up (and I guess it makes sense) not to use it for hammer drilling. The third video shows it being used and to my inexperienced eyes it looks like it can't do anything but wobble... I struggle to believe it could make a proper hole.

The aluminium case with SDS attachments that Makita make.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/mk-d21200-sds-17pce

I suspect I should have gone for a percussion drill, rather than reached for the SDS - even if I did think I was getting a bargain.

A 3 jaw chuck, yes. I'd already picked up (and I guess it makes sense) not to use it for hammer drilling. The third video shows it being used and to my inexperienced eyes it looks like it can't do anything but wobble... I struggle to believe it could make a proper hole.

They're mostly for blasting large holes in timbers, not neat and tidy work. I've used mine for light mixing and putting >2" holes through timber in seconds.

The aluminium case with SDS attachments that Makita make.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/mk-d21200-sds-17pce[/QUOTE]

Oh, right. Good set, that.

I suspect I should have gone for a percussion drill, rather than reached for the SDS - even if I did think I was getting a bargain.

If you have very hard walls, an SDS is what you want. But you can't expect it to replace an ordinary drill for all tasks.

Well, I need an ordinary drill and this was supposed to be a drill that could also handle the walls.

I think I should be returning the drill and the SDS bit set and getting this instead.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-hp1641-13mm-680w-percussion-drill-c-w-keyless-chuck-240v-p12198

I'm sure it'll do better than the 7 year old Worx 14.4V cordless that I'm using just now.

I also ordered a Makita ratchet screwdriver this week, now that I've used it I don't think I'll use another electric screwdriver, however any drilling I do about the house needs to be precise so I guess I've made a mistake in thinking an SDS drill was a normal drill with extra power.

Well, I need an ordinary drill and this was supposed to be a drill that could also handle the walls.

I think I should be returning the drill and the SDS bit set and getting this instead.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-hp...n-drill-c-w-keyless-chuck-240v-p12198[/QUOTE]

Yes, that should handle most walls well enough.

however any drilling I do about the house needs to be precise so I guess I've made a mistake in thinking an SDS drill was a normal drill with extra power.

An SDS is indeed not just a normal drill. They are very different beasts. Accuracy is fine for hammer drilling, otherwise, not so much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back