Drilled a hole into the ring main cable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,
Can anyone advise me of the simplest way to get around a hole drilled in the ring main. The hole spits fire and crackles loudly every hour or so.. :(

Some ideas I had were to

a. Replace the cable completely with another.
b. Put a single outlet socket in where the hole is.
c. Simply inject some sort of insulator like like plastic or something to seal the hole and prevent it from grounding? (this option may be the cowboy one)

Many thanks for any replies received

Ede

Sponsored Links
The first thing to to is isolate the circuit *immediatly*

A) Is a good option
B) would require two otlets a little distance apart and a cable between them
C)Is worse than cowboy!

Go with A... I hope you haven't just decorated!

Replace the cable, or if there is enough length on the cable install an outlet. This circuit should really be isolated until it is rectified as the earth continuity may be broken and there is a risk of fire. Avoid the cowboy option.

Replace the cable, or if there is enough length on the cable install an outlet. This circuit should really be isolated until it is rectified as the earth continuity may be broken and there is a risk of fire. Avoid the cowboy option.

Thanks for the advice lads.
Continuity is o.k. I have a double outlet socket just below the hole (three foot down) so I may go for putting a single socket where the hole is.This will allow me to pull some cable up from below and give me some slack for the new outet.

Many thanks again lads..

Ede

Sponsored Links
securespark";p="766220 said:
Continuity is o.k.

How have you confirmed this?[/quot

Well, the continuity is a visual thing as all the other outlets seem to be working fine, though I have not tested the ring main witha special tester or anything.
I need to use the ringmain to use the computer but will isolate it shortly.
Thanks your replies lad..

ede

rings can have all sockets working even if one or more of the conductors has been cut.

Your continuity is probaby NOT OK

a £10 multimeter will enable you to test ring continuity

I am depressed to hear you are leaving your circuit live despite the known damage and the flashes it makes. You haven't got a timber-framed (inflammable) house, have you?

Have you got accidental cover on your house insurance?

If so put in a claim and get it properly repaired by an electrician

rings can have all sockets working even if one or more of the conductors has been cut.

thats a good point.
I dont know if it has been cut completely until I plug the loop where the hole is.
I guess one I try and make the loop again, I will have a better idea then
The whole did short one metal bracket and blow the 30amp ring main fuse but I have stopped it shorting out now by removing the metal bracket. The hole still arcs occassionally.
Do I need to get an electrtician in witha a megga or some sort of tester when I have fixed the break to check if there is proper continuity?

Many thanks in advance

ede

Isolate the damaged ring circuit, & run the pc off of an extentison lead plugged into another work ring circuit.

Have you got accidental cover on your house insurance?

If so put in a claim and get it properly repaired by an electrician

See if you can do what DESL says.

And have a look at This, which is a page from the wiki which shows where the safe zones for electric cables are, which may help you to avoid drilling into an electric cable next time. Also go & buy a wire detector & use it before drilling.

Well, the continuity is a visual thing as all the other outlets seem to be working fine, though I have not tested the ring main witha special tester or anything.

The most dangerous faults are the ones that are not visible. like a severed earth conductor leaving sockets without safety earths

As suggested use an alternative feed via an extension lead.

The more that hole arc the more damage is being done to the cable. You may have to cut back many inches from the hole until you reach un-damaged cable to which you can connect the new socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back