Broken ring....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst digging around in the kitchen at the weekend I found a socket that was spured from the ring on 13A flex! I whipped that out and thought while I was there I would buz the ring for continuity. Nothing nada all conductors O/C.

After half an hour of faffing about with the multimeter I traced the fault to being between two sockets, one in the kitchen one in the hall. I then cut a hole in the ceiling and made a strategic cut in the cable. This left me with no continuity from the top of the wall to the socket at the bottom in the hall way...

Out came the chisel and this is what I found :eek:

burntcable3s.JPG

burntcable1s.JPG

burntcable2s.JPG

Some scum bag at some time in the past had drilled the cable pushed a wooden plug in the hole and screwed something to the wall. Then removed it and plastered over the hole! Because all the sockets still worked they didnt worry about it!

I've replaced both parts of blackened cable and pulled it through to the other socket so that the ring is reinstated etc. Is this a notifiable part p thing? To be honest I just got on and replaced it as I figured it had to be safer than how it was.

Sponsored Links
No, it's not notifiable. This is one of the few genuine jobs where the 'replacing a section of damaged cable' clause comes into play, also its not in a special location either.

That`s one of the downsides of rings. Three conductors - cut thru one or two of the three conductors and it still works whereas with a radial you only get to cut one of the three and it still works

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back