Drilled hole TOO BIG for screw/rawlplug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone assist here. This is the second time I have drilled into a solid wall and found the wall seems to crumble a bit and I am left with a gaping hole which is no good for mounting the LCD wall bracket I am trying to install. I've tried inserting other rawlplugs into gap but no use. HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
You could use filler, to fill the hole you have made then you could place the rawl plug in before the filler sets and use it once it all dries.

Of course the whole lot might end up falling out if you're really unlucky :eek:

Is it a brick wall? Are the bricks crumbling or is it the mortar in between the bricks that's crumbling. Ideally you want it in the bricks.

are you shure youve reached the brick with the full plug as the brick takes the weight and not the plaster somtimes the plaster can be quite deep

if its airiated blocks you need to drill a smaller hole as its very crumbly

you sould also try knocking a 1/4 1/2 or full plug inside the loose plug and see if that helps

Ive tried filling out gap with other parts of rawlplugs but nothing holds. it is an internal load bearing wall in a 100 year old house - if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Our house is 90 years old and the plaster is a good 1" thick. How deep are the holes you are drilling?

If you are using a sharp masonry drill, it is very unusual for a brick to crumble like that,even a soft yellow London Stock. I reckon you're in thick plaster, or a lime mortar joint.

Do you feel like chipping off a bit of plaster to see what's behind it?

I know an Edwardian house where the first floor internal walls are constructed with some very cunning form of timber truss with L&P cover and some sort of infill. I've never seen it with the plaster off but I'm told builders admire the method.

Fischer do an circular cloth/bonding mix, that you wet, and push in to the hole with the plug, and it sets in place. Wickes also sell them - branded as Wickes own, but made by Fischer.

Could you not move the bracket 2 inches to the left or right up or down as that should get you away from the mortar joint.

use the old fashoned method, used before rawlplugs, just take a piece of wood and shape it as tapered diamond, hit it into the wall untill tight, then cut off surplus level with the surface. screw to centre.

denisthedolphin

The wood method is a good idea. I even use tooth picks for when handles on wooden drawers come loose etc etc.

i've fallen foul of thick plaster in my house in the past. The best solution i have found is to buy a bag of large plugs/screws from B&Q. They look way too big but if you drill a deep enough hole for the plug then it should work every time, even if you found the mortar between the bricks.

I would never again use the plugs that come free with shelves etc as they are just not good enough.

you could always

Drill hole ( which is then too big)
use a hoover to suck out the extra dust
squirt a bit of no more nails in the hole , and either
fill it flush , let it set overnight and redrill
or put in the rawlplug, let it set fo 30 mins and then carefully screw home

( obvioulsy this depends on the weight of the item) , personally i use the first option.

and again obviously, this is no good if you are only in the plaster

The plaster could be really old and will not support the item for you, you could try the old fashoned way using a wood sliver and knocking it into the hole. --alternatly you could knock down you'r house and build a nice new house with nice new walls, though this method is a bit more expensive. I hope this helps you in you'r Quest.

Simple idea but could you not drill a hole smaller than you need to begin with and hammer or fit the rawlplug in so it fits snug as opposed to in a hole that gets too big?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back