How to add rawlplug on brick after going through plasterboard?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have walls with plasterboard, insulation and then the brick (or breeze blocks).

I want to drill through and put screws into the solid wall.
But then I need a rawlplug where the screw goes into the solid wall?

How do I put a rawlplug into the solid wall?
... without making a massive hole on the plasterboard side?

If I don't use a rawlplug, then overtime the screw hold will be lost?

Really confused what to do.

Some sort of plasterboard anchor isn't an option.

+ How much do I drill in to give a solid connection?
28mm? This is the smaller size I've seen on screwfix.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I use solder, the thick solder used for plumbing. I push it in the hole until it bottoms out and pull it back out, cut it so it will sit a few mil short of the surface and then just run a long enough screw to go past the plasterboard and deep enough into the brick.

+ How much do I drill in to give a solid connection?
28mm? This is the smaller size I've seen on screwfix.

I would drill into the wall around 1.5" or 35mm, so the full length of a normal red plug would go into the brick, push the plug in attached / screwed to the screw, give the screw a tap with a hammer, to get the plug deep into the hole, then screw it in normally.

Your screw needs to be almost - 35mm + face of brick to face of PB + what ever the thickness of the thing you are fixing.

Sponsored Links
You can get screws which don’t need rawl plugs. Depending of course what you’re securing.

I have walls with plasterboard, insulation and then the brick (or breeze blocks).

I want to drill through and put screws into the solid wall.
But then I need a rawlplug where the screw goes into the solid wall?
Drill through with a long masonry bit until you hit the masonry wall. 7mm drill bit for a brown plug and #10 or #12 (5.0 or 6.0mm) screws. You will feel this change in material when you get to the masonry. Note how far into the wall the bit has gone at this point. Then drill an extra 50 to 70mm into the masonry. As @mattylad says a masonry plug can be fitted onto the end of the screw and pushed gently into position until you locate the plug in the masonry. Knock the plug in fully with a hammer then tighten up with a driver. You really need to aim at getting at least 50mm of screw into the wall, which in extremes can mean using really long screws (we sometimes use screws up to 250mm long). Don't skimp this

If I don't use a rawlplug, then overtime the screw hold will be lost?
Without a masonry plug you simply won't have a connection. It absolutely need to go in.

An alternative might be to use concrete screws which generally need a 6.5mm (or in softer masonry a 6mm) drill but and fix directly into the masonry. There are, however, some caveats with them - they don't always work well in poorer, old brickwork(which they can split), they don't always work well.in softer blockwork, they aren't available in the same lengths that conventional woodscrews are and they generally need an impact driver to set them

I suggest you identify the wall construction, securing varies by type especially if there is any chance its thermalite.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I'm a little confused what to do.

General advice is:

- Drill into the wall and then into the outside wall.
- Then drill bigger hole on the main wall.
- Screw the screw onto the rawlplug.
- Tap the screw into the wall and then screw.
- Importantly, the screw needs to go into the solid wall 50mm?

In front of the wall will be a piece of wood that will be 35mm.
So I need to add this onto the measurements.

The total screw length needs to be 180 - 200mm I guess.
This means it's going to be a big fat screw?
This in turn means that the rawlplug needs to be bigger and fatter?

Have I missed anything?

Can someone show me what I need to buy for the screws and rawlplugs?

The intended purpose: shelving
I wanted to make something like this:

V4l173Z.png

The back wall will have the solid wall 10cm (I guess) behind the plaster board.
Right and left though will be plasterboard with nothing solid behind.
To add to the complexity, I have tiling on all the walls.
I've been struggling to think how I should fix this part, since using plasterboard anchors won't fit the bill because of the thickness of the tiling.
I posted on another thread about this.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

This might be over kill for your project but it does provide a secure fixing for a batten or a bracket. It prevents cracking of the plaster board if the insulation squeezes under the pressure of the batten onto the plasterboard.

Drill a hole the diameter of the spacer as far as the brick.
Drill a hole for the wall plug ( blue )
Push the spacer into the hole
Put the batten or bracket in place and screw into the wall plug
Screw through to wall.jpg

The spacer can be any shape provided it will be hidden behind the batten.

You can use a 6mm hole thru all and 6mm plug, long screw does not mean thicker , they are available thin enough to fit a 6mm plug.
If you are fixing batten to wall you can leave out spacers .

Last edited:
@bernardgreen how would I get the spacer the size you mention in between the plasterboard and the wall!?
So confused. I like the concept.

@foxhole dumb question... what do you mean by baton? (I even googled before replying, all I find are fighting weapons! LOL).
6mm plug? But all rawlplugs have a lip right? + the top part being bigger so it won't slide through?
Can you show me the plug you mean?

Thanks.

@bernardgreen how would I get the spacer the size you mention in between the plasterboard and the wall!?
So confused. I like the concept.

Drill a hole in a bit of round dowel and cut it off to the length needed for the spacer. A piece of wooden brush handle would do instead.

Or find a bit of timber the correct thickness and use a hole saw to cut a disk out of it.

@foxhole - awesome
I'll get that.
Can you also give me a link to the long screws I'd need.
That's the other thing... the screws seem to be super expensive.
Like a pack of 50 for £25 or something.
EDIT: the length of the rawlplug you gave a link to... I guess it's only 30mm?
Others mentioned I needed to drill 50mm - 70mm into the solid wall.

@Harry Bloomfield I'm still confused how one would put the spaces in and have them stay there!
What I want to do surely can't be really unique? It must have been done a million times before.
Are there any videos online I can see?
Thanks.

@bernardgreen Just seen your next reply. That's a massive hole!
I'll need to make 10 such holes. Seems a lot? Given the choice, I would avoid.
Among other things, it would mean drilling massive holes into tiles.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back