Drilled through a cable - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a bit of a shocker putting up a shelf yesterday. Drilling final hole to put a plug in the wall and the light went off in the room I was in.

Sure enough, there was a bit of copper sticking out sideways which obviously carried juice to the kitchen light.

Anyway, chipped away at the plaster to get a better look at it and what I have is the picture below. My first instinct was to find a bit of copper wire somewhere and tape it over the gap with electrical tape, restore power and put the shelf over the top of it and never think of or see it again.

I could get an expert round but it seems like overkill for what it is. Could someone suggest to me the best way of doing it which is loosely acceptable from an H&S point of view? Was assuming I’d need to get a soldering iron, form a more serious join between the two ends and then cover them up with heat shrink. Or is a junction box needed?

The earth wire is still intact in its plastic, it’s only the live wire that’s been cut.

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    452.5 KB · Views: 494
Sponsored Links
Having made a cable dangerous, you don't want to take shortcuts and bodge it with tape.

Loosely acceptable from an H & S point of view??

The earth wire is still intact in its plastic, it’s only the live wire that’s been cut.

Are there any other wires in the cable besides the line and cpc (earth)?

Is it a cable to a switch?

Looks like there is another adjacent cable that also looks damaged.

Can we have a piccy of the overall juxtaposition of the cable to its surroundings?

If it is a vertical switch cable that is damaged, you could fit a shallow box enclosing a joint near the top of the wall (or under the floor if you can get access to it, using a maintenance free junction box) and extend a whole new piece of cable to the switch.

Last edited:
Having made a cable dangerous, you don't want to take shortcuts and bodge it with tape.

Loosely acceptable from an H & S point of view??

Are there any other wires in the cable besides the line and cpc (earth)?

Is it a cable to a switch?

Looks like there is another adjacent cable that also looks damaged.

Can we have a piccy of the overall juxtaposition of the cable to its surroundings?

If it is a vertical switch cable that is damaged, you could fit a shallow box enclosing a joint near the top of the wall (or under the floor if you can get access to it, using a maintenance free junction box) and extend a whole new piece of cable to the switch.

I don't think there's any more. The red cable outer is the only one damaged exposing the copper cable.

This is in an archway in the kitchen, don't have a pic of the whole setup but it's basically above where you walk into the kitchen and below to the right is the light switch.

Will a chocbox solve the issue?

I don't think there's any more. The red cable outer is the only one damaged exposing the copper cable.

This is in an archway in the kitchen, don't have a pic of the whole setup but it's basically above where you walk into the kitchen and below to the right is the light switch.

Replacing the cable will solve the issue, however painful that might be. Without chopping more plaster off, you've got no slack in the cable, or access to the cable to make a repair.

I think you could insert a new section with properly crimped connectors, sleeve over the lot, and then bury it in the wall.

Sponsored Links
That's
Replacing the cable will solve the issue, however painful that might be. Without chopping more plaster off, you've got no slack in the cable, or access to the cable to make a repair.

I think you could insert a new section with properly crimped connectors, sleeve over the lot, and then bury it in the wall.
what I'm going to go for I think.

That's

what I'm going to go for I think.

OK, note that I said "properly crimped", which means the correct crimps and the correct crimping tool.

It also needs to be properly sleeved, not just a bit of electrical tape. Adhesive heat shrink may be suitable, covering over the grey outer of the cables making the joint.

The red cable outer is the only one damaged exposing the copper cable.

But the other cable looks scuffed, it may have the inner insulation nicked.
EDIT: Maybe I am confusing the white plaster for another cable, but if there is one, it would make sense to check it thoroughly for damage.

So the cables run horizontally above the arch, not in a safe zone?

If they are not in a safe zone, they need to be either physically moved into one or a metal box placed in line with the cable run to show the presence of cables.

My first instinct was to find a bit of copper wire somewhere and tape it over the gap with electrical tape, restore power and put the shelf over the top of it and never think of or see it again.

Please don't!

I could get an expert round but it seems like overkill for what it is.

If you cannot do this yourself, it might be for the best. Making an electrical problem safe is not overkill. If you need an electrician to do this, sobeit.

It depends.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back