Drilling a hole deeper than the holesaw depth

R

richard7761

A holesaw cuts to certain maximum depth.

I have a situation where I cannot cut from both sides, and the holesaw depth of cut is not as deep as the wood I want to drill a hole in.

I'm cutting right through timber (timber you make beams out of - whatever that is) that is 45 mm thick. I had in mind to purchase a set of Titan holesaws. Not a bad deal. Unfortunately I don't know the depth of cut, possible a "standard depth" - if there is such a thing. Unless someone has a Titan holesaw and can tell me, the 38 mm holesaw I guess will cut about 25 mm - 30 mm deep- but that's just a guess.

I think I'll be able to cut through the 45 mm thick timber if I keep chiselling out the centre part of the hole. Hoping the wood will easily chip away.

I could buy a Starrett holesaw which will cut to 41 mm deep. We have the DeWalt DT8138QZ, produces a deeper cut, but no idea how deep exactly (12.5 mm deeper cut than standard bi-metal holesaw).

Will probably stick with the Titan set.

Any tips or advice welcome Thanks. Rich

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why not use an auger bit or even a forstner one like the one below

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-forstner-bit-38mm

Yes. After publishing my post I looked down the page and saw a thread titled something like "Forstner V hole saw". And then I Googled to see what Forstner was all about. I now think I don't want a hole saw but a different kind of hole-making tool.

As long as the shank is long enough, seems like a Fostner tool is the better.

Thing is, whenever I think about larger holes in wood, I never think of anything but hole saw. That is being myopic in my thinking. :)

as an aside
assuming its a hole saw that fits to auger[drill bit]

drill to 75% off cutter depth
remove part off the core waste
then you can drill deeper until the chuck or drill body limit the depth

ooops sorry you are doing this :oops:

as an aside
assuming its a hole saw that fits to auger[drill bit]

drill to 75% off cutter depth
remove part off the core waste
then you can drill deeper until the chuck or drill body limit the depth

Yes. That is what I had in mind. I think it would work.

I guess on balance I'm tempted to go with Forstner bits such as a 16 Piece Set (Product Code: 83345) rather than Titan Holesaws a 15 Piece Kit
(Product Code: 93131). But I ought to check the shank lengths to see if the Forstner bits would go on 45 mm.

Confined space means I need to use an electric drill.

Actually, latest thinking is to get a cheap flat wood drill bit set, and if I have the space, use my Stanley drill brace. Unless I can use flat wood drills with a variable speed electric drill then I'd use the electric drill.

I guess on balance I'm tempted to go with Forstner bits such as a 16 Piece Set (Product Code: 83345) rather than Titan Holesaws a 15 Piece Kit
(Product Code: 93131). But I ought to check the shank lengths to see if the Forstner bits would go on 45 mm.
You get what you pay for - and they are both VERY cheap sets. The Forstners aren't self feeders and will require a lot of pushing (and probably grunting) to get them to drill a joist. You'll also have to back them out regularly as they are never very good at clearing waste - they are, after all designed to cut shallow, flat bottomed holes, NOT deep ones. They are simply the wrong tool for drilling joists

Actually, latest thinking is to get a cheap flat wood drill bit set, and if I have the space, use my Stanley drill brace. Unless I can use flat wood drills with a variable speed electric drill then I'd use the electric drill.
Spade bits will work with an electric drill, but not a brace (far too slow). For self feed Bosch do a useful type which has a threaded pilot point (most don't have this), but they are aggressive and not really suitable for use in hardwoods or for accurate/fine work. At least you can saw the shank down if space is an issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back