Using a hole saw with aluminium

Adam, believe me a jig saw will easily do the job if you take your time and use temporary plywood reinforcing, as we said earlier. Holesaws of that sort of size need a decent high torque drill and often leave a jagged edge.

Screwfix would only stock if there was a demand for certain sizes such as waste and soil pipes or electrical fittings.

Sponsored Links
Really couldn't see what the fuss was about. Then I reread. 12cm, hmm. I was thinking 12mm. :oops: :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice guys. I did it this afternoon and it went very well. What I did was to screw a piece of timber board inside the case (after emptying out all the computer components of course!). I then drew around a disused CD with a thin marker, as a template (a CD is exactly 12cm in diameter)

As you can see from the photos on page 1, that area of the case is mostly drilled with lots of holes. So, I drilled holes just inside my line on the bits where no pre-existing holes were.

I then used a Dremel with a cutting disc (well, 4 cutting discs, they tend to wear down quickly!). This got rid of most of the metal. I then used a grinding disc on the Dremel to get rid of the excess and the burrs.

When the hole was pretty much perfect, I used fine sandpaper to smooth out the edges and the tiny burrs left by the grinding disc. I then shook out all the swarf etc, and used a damp cloth to remove all the dust and the finer particles. Compressed air would have been good, but was unavailable.

The hole looked really nice, but I wanted it even better. So, I took an old length of thin black coaxial cable, slit it along it's length and used the outer insulation as edging. Looks like it has always been that way now.

As I had thought, the result is that the fan is running a lot quieter now. I have it spinning very slowly (at 5V), but the cooling effect is still excellent. Yes folks, a working PC with just one fan in the whole caboodle. I can barely hear the PC, the high-pitched noise from my router is now deafening! If only I could move that now :LOL: I have a program running so I can keep an eye on temperature, but it is fine.

Bit late now, but on reflection a fretsaw, or coping saw, with the right blade, would have done a fairly quick, neat job. I mean the hand tools.
Used them in the past for cutouts for D connectors etc.

Sponsored Links
Your only problem now with such a large hole is keeping the dust and debris out of the case, especially insects. It was a moth that caused problems with one of the first computers, hence the term 'a bug in the system'.

Yes, I had considered that, but dust always gets into a computer unless you stick very effective filters in it. And such filters are very restrictive and produce a lot of noise (believe it or not, people replace the airbox on their car to get a different induction noise!)

It is a very real danger as the fan is blowing INTO the case and therefore if a moth got too close to the fan it would be sucked in. However, due to the direction and voracity of the airflow it would be blown clear of anything that it could damage... I hope :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back