drilling bottom of window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you drill the bottom of a window pane when the bulk of your drill means you can only drill an inch or two from the bottom because of this? Is there any way round it or any tool you can use to get it done instead?

Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have finally managed to get a photo uploaded...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/john10001/P1000502.jpg

You can see the white cable which is quite thick currently going straight out the window. I need to drill a hole through the bottom of the frame big enough to get a cable this thick through. Needs to go through just like the old BT phone cable has from the old terminal you can see on the left.

Trouble is my drill the chuck wont allow me to get down that low to the bottom of the window frame.

I think a long drill bit would do the job. The cable is about 3/8 inch thick almost 1cm. Is it possible to get these long drill bits that are this thick? And also it would have to be pretty long as it is 7 inches from the end of the window sill just to the window frame where I need to drill. Then probably another 5 inches or so through the frame to the outside (its double glazing). So it would have to be about 13 inches in length and about 3/8 inch possibly 1/2 inch thick.

Thanks for your advice.

John

is that a plastic frame?

because of the risk of water ingress, I would prefer to drill through the side of the frame, with the hole angling down towards the outside to prevent water dripping down the cable.

To judge from your picture it looks like flex rather than cable that you're taking through the window frame.

If you're supplying electricity to something outside the house, it would be preferable to install cable in conduit through the wall, and do the whole job properly. Drilling a plastic frame to feed a length of flex through a hole is hardly desirable.

But if you do go ahead, follow John's advice about water ingress; also provide a drip loop outside to stop water tracking down the flex.

To judge from your picture it looks like flex rather than cable that you're taking through the window frame.

If you're supplying electricity to something outside the house, it would be preferable to install cable in conduit through the wall, and do the whole job properly. Drilling a plastic frame to feed a length of flex through a hole is hardly desirable.

But if you do go ahead, follow John's advice about water ingress; also provide a drip loop outside to stop water tracking down the flex.

The very bottom of the frame is wood which is where I was going to drill through the same way the old BT cable has gone through. Above the wood it looks like plastic but its metal painted white. This metal part of the frame is for the inside double glazed window only. The outside is older original victorian style wooden window. It is a Satellie dish cable so it will carry a small voltage between the box and the LNB. Would you still recommend going through the wall with conduit? I believe to do that the distance the drill would have to go would be even greater probably 20 to 24 inches.

Thanks,

John

I feel it would make a neater and a sounder job to take the cable through the wall. I would use a length of conduit through the masonry, and if not using conduit on the inside or outside, use cable entry and cable exit covers for neatness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back