Drilling deep holes in brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of any product that will drill a 20-30mm diameter hole on a brick wall roughly 800mm deep? I've drilled with ease a hole with a 1000mm drill bit but the hole is too small for the cables I need to pull through.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks v much 3g it should be big enough i'll give it a go. the hole is for a hdmi cable and the end plug is causing the problem

thanks

Welcome to my world, I'm an AV Engineer by trade, so constantly having that problem !! We have had a few jobs before, were we have ended up using CAT5 baluns because we couldn't get the HDMI to fit.

I know it goes without saying but since I've seen contractors using SDS bits without an SDS drill before, make sure you use an SDS drill. :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks 3g, having done this before yourself do you think that 22mm drill bit you linked to would be sufficient for a hdmi cable before I purchase it?

Cheers

To be honest they all vary, I'm 99% sure I've managed to pull a connector though before, it can be a bit of a tight fit, you should be able to wiggle the drill around abit to widen out the hole slightly.

I've heard people have had successes in the past with chopping a HDMI cable in half and then re-soldering + heatshrinking it back together again, I've never personally had to do it, but it's something to think about !!

wow the soldering idea is a great one if the hole in not big enough and all else fails. Thanks for the advice 3g i'll buy the bit tomorrow and let you know how I get on!
I started this job thinking it would be literally a 5 minute job that was 2 months ago- Ihate cables!!!!!

Cheers

Haha, you wouldn't believe the amount of places I get called out to and hear exactly that, can be a nightmare !

bought the drill bit worked a treat and ran the HDMI in the chimney breast, all hidden, looks very neat, just hope I'm now future proof for the time being as the inside of my chimney breast resembles a BT telephone exchange!!! (2 sky leads from dish, scart lead, HDMI lead, Wii leads, Telephone connection, TV/sky/wii/telephone power leads the list goes on...) Thanks for your help 3g.

regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back