Drilling for curtain pole, solid steel!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Trying to drill for a curtain pole and I'm restricted a great deal on height as window is very close to ceiling. Anyway it drills into plaster then its full stop. No masonry bit with hammer drill makes no difference making me think its steel. What can I do? And I can't go wider to be fair ( how much wider does the steel normally go so I can measure and see if pole can go that wide. But even then I can't put the centre support on with it being bang centre of the steel gurder. Any adhesive or other option I have?[/code]

Sponsored Links
What bit and what drill do I need to go thru steel? I only need a 5mm hole btw.

What if I bought a plank of wood and attached it to wall after the steel gurder but have it rectangular so that I could tether pole to the wood instead of wall. Would that be suitable or is their a better way?

Sponsored Links
Only 2cm before its solid. Now I realise why the previous owners just put a blackout blind within the recess!!

What are you thinking? Things like no more nails, they can't support a curtain pole and lightish curtains can they?

Use self tapping screws fixing through the steel, it will be easier than you think, drill the steel making a pilot hole for the screw,use a HSS drill bit, take it easy dont drill to hard or fast, practice on some scrap first getting the right combination of drill bit and self tapping screw.

Could be a concrete lintel, how old is property? Have you tried with sds drill.

• It's a 1970s detached, I do actually think its a concrete lintel now you mention it (went out and bought some HSS drill bits already)!!!

Ill go b&q and see if I can get an SDS drill bit (looks to be designed for reinforced concrete). Hope my hammer drill can take the pain..

You need an sds drill to use sds bits, they are nothing special it's the drill that makes the difference.

I had exactly the same issues a few years back. I thought "bugger, steel lintel", but it was actually concrete and when i used an SDS drill it went in like a knife through butter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back